Android 4.1.2 install apps to SD?

linuxalien

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I recently bought an LG Optimus F3 from Virgin Mobile and it has Android 4.1.2 jellybean. It runs great but it won't install any apps to my SD card at all. It doesn't even have the move to SD card option grayed out. Is this normal? I only have 1.2GB of internal memory free to install anything. Thanks for your help! I called tech support and they claim it will install to the SD card when internal memory is used up. I've googled and haven't found any info to support or refute that answer. Again, thanks for any help!

Last edited by a moderator:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: android 4.1.2 install apps to SD?

Hi, I recently bought an LG Optimus F3 from Virgin Mobile and it has Android 4.1.2 jellybean. It runs great but it won't install any apps to my SD card at all. It doesn't even have the move to SD card option grayed out. Is this normal? I only have 1.2GB of internal memory free to install anything. Thanks for your help! I called tech support and they claim it will install to the SD card when internal memory is used up. I've googled and haven't found any info to support or refute that answer. Again, thanks for any help!

Welcome to the forums!
For the most part, Android will not allow moving apps to the SD card. That stopped at 4.0. I am taking a guess that your total system memory is about 4GB?

eddy14

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site

Do you have any idea why Google would stop the transferring of apps to the SD card? Just something that I have been wondering about

Sent from my Galaxy SIII

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Do you have any idea why Google would stop the transferring of apps to the SD card? Just something that I have been wondering about

Sent from my Galaxy SIII

Because normally, the app data is already separated into two different partitions. Adding a third slows down the app, increases battery consumption by the CPU working more/harder to open apps

Sent from a SlimROM S3.

linuxalien

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site

Welcome to the forums!
For the most part, Android will not allow moving apps to the SD card. That stopped at 4.0. I am taking a guess that your total system memory is about 4GB?

Thanks for the welcome! Yeah, I think it has a 4gig rom. I can do quite a bit with 1.2gigs but I could do more if I could install more apps. At least nothing is wrong with it. I can see the logic in it too. Thanks for explaining it to me!

Joe

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for the welcome! Yeah, I think it has a 4gig rom. I can do quite a bit with 1.2gigs but I could do more if I could install more apps. At least nothing is wrong with it. I can see the logic in it too. Thanks for explaining it to me!

Joe

No sweat.

Sent from a SlimROM S3.

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site

Latest version of Android you can once again move apps to sd.

THE BEAST,,NOTE 3. SIZE IS EVERYTHING!!!

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site

My note 3 is running 4.3

Kavan Sidhu

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site

I bought a "alcatel one touch evolve" 3g. Not 4g but if you get no reception then you get none so it doesn't matter. 4g is just speed increase. But reception is horrible in buildings. Costco is only 2g at the food court on the tables with my iPhone 3gs. And zero everywhere else (in the costco). Now I get all 3g all the time. Even at whole foods I get 3g. I just have to leave it on auto. If I select gsm only in settings I get 2g. But back to auto gives me 3g. I double checked same spot 3g. It was on clearance for 50 bucks at best buy. Not sure why. The evolve just came out and still sold at my local tmobile. But 50 bucks 54.36 with tax not a bad deal, prepaid no contract. I have the tmobile walmart plan 1200 minutes of voice and unlimited text and data. He set it up at the store last year. Just popped in my sim card and it works great.

But the limiting factor is the space. I also considered the optimus f3 as its the only one with "LTE" at tmobile or best buy for prepaid no contract. But same 4gb of space limit so not worth it for 179.99. Mabe more space but not 4gb. Bad deal. So 50 dollars was the better choice. But 4gb does nothing. So I needed more space. So I went to costco and got a sandisk sdhc micro sd 32gb card for 26.99. Works great. The phone has 4.1.2. which is why I'm replying here. Same as the original poster. Not all but most move tot he sd card. Not greyed out.

We got a thermostat carrier infinity and you can control it by cellphone. Android or iPhone. Workd great. Move to sd is not greyed out. Moved that tot he sd card. Skype, Skype wifi, netflix, yelp, firefox, opera, dolphin browser, also all move to the sd card.

No problems. I had problems I thought with charging but it was not broken after all. So I reset to factory setting just to double check. I took out the sd card and wiped the phone. Factory reset or what ever its called in the settings. And put the card back in. The apps didn't show. But I re downloaded them and moved them to the sd card. No errors. And my data was saved. Even copilot free saved my maps I downloaded midwest. I don't have to re download it. No issues.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site

My note 3 is running 4.3

I believe that's a Samsung feature, not an Android feature.

There's probably some way to install apps to your SD card with rooting and perhaps installing a custom ROM, but as far as I know there's no other way to do it unless the phone manufacturer or carrier adds that functionality to Android.

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site

I believe that's a Samsung feature, not an Android feature.

There's probably some way to install apps to your SD card with rooting and perhaps installing a custom ROM, but as far as I know there's no other way to do it unless the phone manufacturer or carrier adds that functionality to Android.

What, apps to sd? No, I believe Google put option back in with 4.3

Kavan Sidhu

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site

But I have 4.1.2. and my apps are moving to the sd card without rooting. Staraight form the getgo.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site

What, apps to sd? No, I believe Google put option back in with 4.3
Can you find anywhere that it's documented? It would be a really strange reversal in their policy and I can't find anywhere where it's listed as a feature.

Kevin Darby

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site

Don't listen to any of this you totally can. I have the same exact phone and I'm on Virgin Mobile. Same situation. There's no obvious way to do it after messing around with it for a while I figured it out for myself.

There's an app called "File Manager" that comes with Android 4.2.1. go to that and you should see 2 folders called "external_SD" and "sdcard0"

"sdcard0" is your internal storage. Click on that, then click the folder called "Android" then from there click on "data"

inside you should find a bunch of files that start with "com." you might recognize the apps by the name or company in the filename.

now in the very botton there's 4 icons, a picture of a folder wth a + over it, a folder with an arrow over it, a trash can and a magnifying glass (search icon)

click the folder with a plus over it (middle left icon), now select the files you want to move to the SD card and click "Move"

It will take you back to the first 2 folders. now just select "eternal_SD" and once that file opens click "Paste"

That's all there is is to it. some large files might take a while to move but the apps will still work and it will clear up some space on your internal storage.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

TheHerbivore

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site

That's a cool trick, unfortunately I don't see all of my apps. Only a couple.

Any idea what folder the rest would be in?

Thank you!

linuxalien

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site

Using link2sd I got my Virgin Mobile LG F3 to move apps to memory card. I had to root my phone and partition my external memory card but it works well. I installed a ton of apps including games. I was never able to do that before.

Posted via Android Central App