Google Play Services not supported by device ?

sl_ve

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
Hi there,
I have a new 8" tablet manufactured for Aldi under the Bauhn brand running 4.1.2. It seems that all the pre-loaded apps -youtube, calendar, Facebook etc. cannot update, as well as blocking me from signing in to YouTube or playing any videos. Is it related to the Google Play Services? -which when installed from the Play Store comes up with an error that it is not supported by this device.

Any ideas what the issue might be stemming from? Everyone else that bought this tablet seems to have the same issue - which might mean a dodgy in-factory load of Android?

Any advice gratefully accepted.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I can't answer the Google Play Services question, although it's definitely a good thought. I'd make sure your Google Play Store is up to date. The current version is 4.3.11, and can be downloaded and installed directly on your tablet using this link:

com.android.vending-4.3.11.apk

The above link is from Android Police, and should be pretty well-vetted.

Also make sure your tablet's operating system is up to date. There should be an option in the Settings for Software Update (usually under Settings/About device).

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Not to offend the company, but I would say it's their issue where they made the device incompatible with play services. I'm guessing you like the tablet, but I would ship that thing off to the manufacturer for a refund because this just screams more issues down the line. I haven't heard of the manufacturer before, but this doesn't sound right. That's their Android issue, updating everything has a very slim chance of fixing it. Just warning you, I would personally get a refund and buy a tablet from a different manufacturer. They might release an update, but still it doesn't look like they know what they're doing. Not trying to create a hate rant, just stating my opinion of what to do

Posted via Android Central App

sl_ve

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for your advice -no offence taken - it's in Australia, Aldi being the German supermarket chain with a 60 day return policy, no questions asked. It was at a very low price point (AUD$169 for a 8" 3G + GPS tablet) so I took the risk with it on the chance it would be a gem (some of their electronics are great value for money).
That being said, if the company offered support/fix for the issue, I'd consider keeping it as al the other features of the tablet are great.

Lucky for me, I still have most of the 60 day period to make up my mind and see if a fix is produced.

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for your advice -no offence taken - it's in Australia, Aldi being the German supermarket chain with a 60 day return policy, no questions asked. It was at a very low price point (AUD$169 for a 8" 3G + GPS tablet) so I took the risk with it on the chance it would be a gem (some of their electronics are great value for money).
That being said, if the company offered support/fix for the issue, I'd consider keeping it as al the other features of the tablet are great.

Lucky for me, I still have most of the 60 day period to make up my mind and see if a fix is produced.

That's good to hear that it has a 60 day return period. You can wait to see if an update is released, but until then the tablet is kina useless right? Anyway, good luck with the tablet! Hopefully everything gets sorted out

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AC Forums mobile app

sl_ve

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
Hi B. Diddy,

Thanks for your advice. the .apk file wouldn't install on the tablet - an error came up which said
"An existing package with the same name with a conflicting signature is already installed".
Since the play store is a system app, I can't unistall it and reinstall the latest version (without Root access, which I'm not keen on)

Also there is no option to update the operating system in the settings.

All of this reinforces my suspicions of a dodgy load of Android in the factory, for example when trying to update YouTube app an error occurs with " Package file not signed correctly. Uninstall the previous copy of the app and try again" (Which I can't do for system apps without root access).

In short, a sticky situation to be in as this basically unacceptable for a new tablet. Looks like I might have to return it.

Deejay Paulygon

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
Your device's manufacturer was too lazy. Why you can't download Services is because of the manufacturer. Try buying devices from commercially known brands. :)