How have I cooked my battery?

septic544

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi all, sorry to just join the forum and ask for help but needs must I'm afraid.
I've had my tablet for a little over 2 months now. It is a Verses 7 touchtab 16GB version. Now the battery life is appalling to be honest so today I decided I would solve this by buying a portable battery and fixing it to my tablet case to give me a few hours extra. The first one I tried was a 6000mAh battery from Maplins, now I didn't realize at the time but this could only power a device at 1 amp output which was half the amount my device needed, so I returned the item for a 10000mAh battery which could deliver at 2A, or 2000mA. I've had the tablet plugged in and have been using it for the better part of the day and just now while watching a video the portable battery decided to give up. The percentage on the device says it was at 82% but immediately as the portable battery gave out the device shut off, no shut down or warning battery low messages just boom, gone. I tried to power up the device and twice the logo flashed up then it shut off again. Now I find the tablet will boot up normally if it is plugged into the wall charger and the battery percentage appears to increase as it should but as soon as I unplug it, it turns off completely, now powering down etc. From what I can see the portable battery meets the needs of my tablet ideally, 5V, 2000mAh output so I can't understand how it has managed to destroy my battery, have I got my numbers mixed up? The tablet has not become hot or acted out throughout the entire time I've been using it which I would have assumed were signs it was not happy with its charging situation.
I'm not sure where to go from here, will I have to change the battery? And is this just a sign of a weak battery to start with and I can continue to use my portable battery on the new one of should I take it back to Maplins and just deal with terrible battery life which is after all better than none :(

Any advice or help on where to go next is greatly appreciated thanks guys and gals!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi all, sorry to just join the forum and ask for help but needs must I'm afraid.
I've had my tablet for a little over 2 months now. It is a Verses 7 touchtab 16GB version. Now the battery life is appalling to be honest so today I decided I would solve this by buying a portable battery and fixing it to my tablet case to give me a few hours extra. The first one I tried was a 6000mAh battery from Maplins, now I didn't realize at the time but this could only power a device at 1 amp output which was half the amount my device needed, so I returned the item for a 10000mAh battery which could deliver at 2A, or 2000mA. I've had the tablet plugged in and have been using it for the better part of the day and just now while watching a video the portable battery decided to give up. The percentage on the device says it was at 82% but immediately as the portable battery gave out the device shut off, no shut down or warning battery low messages just boom, gone. I tried to power up the device and twice the logo flashed up then it shut off again. Now I find the tablet will boot up normally if it is plugged into the wall charger and the battery percentage appears to increase as it should but as soon as I unplug it, it turns off completely, now powering down etc. From what I can see the portable battery meets the needs of my tablet ideally, 5V, 2000mAh output so I can't understand how it has managed to destroy my battery, have I got my numbers mixed up? The tablet has not become hot or acted out throughout the entire time I've been using it which I would have assumed were signs it was not happy with its charging situation.
I'm not sure where to go from here, will I have to change the battery? And is this just a sign of a weak battery to start with and I can continue to use my portable battery on the new one of should I take it back to Maplins and just deal with terrible battery life which is after all better than none :(

Any advice or help on where to go next is greatly appreciated thanks guys and gals!

Welcome to the forums!
I am sorry to hear about your problem. I would guess your battery can't produce enough volts, and that is why you can't keep it on. But essentially, yes, you probably need a new one. Is it easy to replace?

septic544

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Thanks or the response. The battery in itself from what I can see does not look difficult to replace, 2 soldering points on the main board. However I'm more concerned with its age only being two months and me using this portable battery whether it is me who has killed it or not?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks or the response. The battery in itself from what I can see does not look difficult to replace, 2 soldering points on the main board. However I'm more concerned with its age only being two months and me using this portable battery whether it is me who has killed it or not?

Since its that new, have you called the manufacturer?

Sent from a SlimROM S3.

septic544

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Yes, it has gone back to the shop to have the repairs done as the battery has a 6 month warranty and the whole unit has a 12 month warranty. I also found out when I returned it that more than half the tablets that have been sold in the last few months have either been returned or repaired :S hopefully I have just been unlucky. After I have it repaired I may try the portable battery again and if it does break I think I'll replace it myself for one with more storage capacity.

edit. I've actually found a battery on eBay for like ?8 which is the same voltage etc. but it's 5000mAh instead of the 3000mAh that is in the tablet, I wish I hadn't taken it back to the shop now and just replaced it with this one. Ah well at least they will check it over thoroughly in case this was not the only issue with it.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke