Setting the right time on a tablet

Akis Tzortzis

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
I am having some difficulty in setting the right time on a tablet. It has WiFi and also GPS. Version 4.2.2.

I had imagined that it would use the Internet connection through the WiFi to sync up the time, and also the WiFi information about the location, so as to establish the correct timezone.

However it does not do that and the only way to set the right time is to set it manually. Therefore I assume that the settings "Automatic date & time" and "Automatic time zone" ["Use network provided time"] are referring to the telephone carrier's network and not to the Internet. In that case those two settings have no effect on a tablet without a SIM.

Am I correct? If yes, what is the best way to set the time and the region automatically ?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! What brand and model of tablet do you have?

Tablets that only have wifi can't automatically select your timezone--they can only do so if they're getting a cellular data signal. They should be able to set Automatic Date & Time based on the wifi signal that you get, but you have to manually select the time zone--at least, that's how it is on my Nexus 7 in the US.

Akis Tzortzis

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Hello. I have a Pipo M7 Pro - it is a rockchip 3188.

I have tried again and this time, when I click on "automatic" it immediately changes the time to the correct one. I even disabled the wi-fi and it still corrects the time when I click on "automatic".
On my phone, when I click on "automatic" I am given two options: "network" and "gps" and I choose "network". On the tablet I do not see such choice.

So it is all a bit confusing, just like the "date format" depending on the input language selected !

A few experiments:

On the phone, selecting "use GPS time" does not do anything until some other application uses the GPS (eg Google Navigation). Then it adjusts the time.
On the phone, selecting "use network time" adjusts the time immediately, even in Airplane Mode! How did it connect to the network to get the time since I am in Airplane mode? It means it keeps the time in another clock and then uses that instead of the network? I even switched the phone off, while in Airplane mode, then back on, and then selected "Automatic date and time - use network" and it still oncde again corrected the time!!

The only explanation is that there are two clocks. The one set by the user, and which is the one shown. But there must be another clock, which the user cannot see, and this clock tracks the GPS and network and the user cannot modify that clock.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mohamed-helmy