Can't open links in new tabs

McPhee242

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
I can't seem to find a way to open links in new tabs. If I want to open several links, they all open in the one window so I'm only left with the last link I clicked on.

I've also tried long pressing the links to select 'open in new tab' but this option doesn't come up. When I long press links all I can do is select text.

Ideally I'd like to set a default to always open links in new tabs, but I would settle for a work around (like long press) if that actually worked.

This always worked on my old phone, but it seems like they've removed this functionality.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Are you using Chrome? For me, it works to press and hold the link until a menu box comes up, then select "Open in a new tab." What kind of link are you trying to open?

McPhee242

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
Thanks! I've tried using several browsers, including chrome but when I hold the link it gets highlighted and I get the options: Select all, Copy, Share, Translate, Find and Web Search.
I've been trying to open links from emails, facebook and twitter.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Sometimes it can be hard to tap a link accurately. Try zooming in on the area with the link first, then long pressing.

Posted via Android Central App

McPhee242

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, but I've tried that already.

Long pressing to open in new tab works when I'm already using the browser, but it doesn't work for links in emails, facebook or twitter. This is incredibly frustrating, because most of the links I open are from emails.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Let's clarify--are you talking about links in your Email, Facebook, and Twitter apps, or their respective websites in the browser? Links in the apps won't give you the option of opening in a new tab, because those apps are separate from the browser.

McPhee242

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I am talking about the apps. On my old phone, I was also using the apps and each link I clicked automatically opened in a new tab, so that if I clicked 5 links, I would have 5 tabs open. Is there any way to set this as a default?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Oh, I see. That's odd, because on my Razr Maxx running 4.1.2 and the stock Browser, and my Nexus 7 running 4.3 and Chrome browser, I get new tabs when clicking on Facebook links. What device and Android version do you have? Maybe go to Settings/Apps, tap the menu button, and tap "Reset app preferences."

McPhee242

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
It is really odd. You'd think there'd at least be an option to control it.

I have an S4 mini and it's running 4.2.2.

Just reset app preferences, but still having the same issue with both browsers.

McPhee242

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
So happy! I found a way around it!!! Firefox works :)

I have no idea how to fix this issue in chrome or the stock browser, but for anyone else having the same problem - at least we can use firefox.

Thanks for all of your help B. Diddy.

Ewen Hammerich

Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
You can do this by selecting request a desktop site from the settings on the right hand top corner while you are in any page of google search.

Then in the settings at the right of the search page, select search settings, scroll to the bottom of the page and put a tick in the box by the ---- Open each selected result in a new browser window, then save.

This doesn't seem work with other pages, only with google search

If you request a desktop site in any of google's sites you get many more options

Cheers
Ewen

Last edited: