Google Maps update keeps renaming navigation shortcuts to generic "Maps"

srv

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
Hello,

I have 3 navigation shortcuts in a "Nav" folder on my GS4 front page. The shortcut icons, when created, have convenient short names I've given them in order to tell them apart. When created, they have a blue car icon.

However, every time there is an update to the Google Maps app, the icons each get renamed to "Maps" and the icon becomes a map icon. They're then indistinguishable.

This has now happened a few times since I purchased this phone. I'm running stock Android (I usually don't get around to rooting an Android phone until I've had it a year or so). The only fix is deleting the shortcuts, and making new navigation shortcuts to those addresses in that folder. Then, a few weeks later, there's another Maps update, and it all happens again. It's a good thing I only have 3 shortcuts, but is there a workaround for this?

Thanks, SRV

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
A recent update to Maps did away with the separate shortcut for the navigation function of the apps and everything is accessible directly through maps and through Google Now.

srv

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
A recent update to Maps did away with the separate shortcut for the navigation function of the apps and everything is accessible directly through maps and through Google Now.

Well, as I have done after the last few Maps updates, I can drag a "Directions 1x1" shortcut out of my Widgets tab, and once I drop it on the Homescreen, I am asked to provide a Destination and Shortcut Name. If I do that and save, I have a one-touch shortcut that brings up directions to that destination, and it persists on my Homescreen until the next Maps update. I just did it again. So, I wouldn't say that the update "did away" with the separate shortcut - it's still available. Is there a one-touch solution through Maps and Google Now that won't be negated by each Maps update, as the shortcuts are?

Thanks, SRV

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress