downgrade to previous OS?

bexte

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
Have an HTC One X. This morning it decided to upgrade itself to 4.2.2 - which is horrible, awful and I hate it. Really hate it.

I want it gone. Is there any way I can downgrade back to the previous OS version my phone had? Pretty sure it was just 4.2 maybe 4.1...

I am seriously peeved at this update, it is godawful and I need it gone. Any help appreciated. It is really horrible, like an iPhone style os which is awful and EUGH I HATE IT.

so anyone who can help thank you in advance...thanks from a severely pissed off owner

Last edited:

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! There should still be some 4.2 and 4.1 ROMs out there that you can flash. Out of curiosity, though, what is it that is so different that you dislike?

bexte

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
Thanks,
the new lock screen and the app lists, general UI stuff really - it seems much more square and I really hate whatever their new android font is - my last UI was smoother and I liked it (and the icons) better. Another bit that is really annoying me is the Notes widget, but mainly the UI disagrees with me.

There seem to be lots of Samsubg ROMs about, need to find an HTC one...will take another look.

Thanks

alexdrazen

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
I am another user (HTC Droid DNA) who just got what appears to be the latest update and would also prefer to downgrade, but Verizon and HTC have both been utterly useless, to the point that I'm about ready to find new companies to deal with.

I don't care for the following in the latest release for the following reasons:

- New font is ugly skinny thing that gives me a headache to read. Makes the Mail and Messages apps as well as icons utterly hideous.
- Swiping is now vertical instead of horizontal when scrolling through app screen
- Bunch of un-deletable Google crapware I didn't want suddenly appeared in apps (I did hide it, but it's still taking up space on the phone)
- When I go to the screen with all my apps, it keeps the weather and clock at the top of the first page, and only the first page of them, for no rational reason -- I don't have ADD, I remember what time it was and what the weather was 1/2 a second ago!
- Swiping apps closed is more of a pain (grid of 9 rather than swipe left/right)
- Phone synced up an email account in Calendar, Email, etc. that I didn't want synced up (and it never had been before, to my knowledge)
- Base apps for Messages (SMS/Text) and Mail no longer are clear about read/unread (new things used to be bold, but new font removed that)
- Calendar app is hideous - month view uses lines (was able to solve by installing aCalendar app which is not perfect, but at least it doesn't suck)
- HORRIBLE customer service: Verizon said I'm stuck with it, but to talk to HTC. HTC support chat, which was at least more sympathetic to me than the Verizon people, still said I'm stuck with it, but to complain to Google. Google Forums said they don't do forums for Droid anymore, but to complain to HTC, who don't seem to have a spot for that either.

That's just off the top of my head. Any advice? I'm not familiar with doing a flash ROM and looked into the page for rooting a phone and figured I was likely to break something if I tried to do all that. But I am EXTREMELY unhappy right now... as the above poster said... this is like an iPhone. Actually, I am seriously considering Windows Phone or iPhone just to get AWAY from this miserable experience!

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Some of the issues you mentioned might be HTC Sense related not Android per say, so dismissing Android all together due to this seems a bit of over kill.

I don't have too much experience with HTC devices, but I think you need to unlock your bootloader through HTCDev to lose your warrenty, then do something called S-OFF. After that you should be able to flash a "RUU" which is an HTC factory image. You might want to look at XDA forum for more info on this.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
You could try a 3rd party launcher like Nova or Apex, too. They will give you a lot more control over a lot of aspects of the UI.

vernotzy21

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
You could try a 3rd party launcher like Nova or Apex, too. They will give you a lot more control over a lot of aspects of the UI.

True but Google "rumrunner s-off" for the DNA its a retard proof root method " I should know it worked for me" after it does its thing download goo manager and install a custom recovery after your recovery is in place you can't hurt your phone as long as you stay away from the recovery partition (and I don't think that's something you can do by accident) then flash any ROM you gotta try them all! (Like Pok?mon)

Honestly if you have never rooted you haven't experienced the full awesomeness of android yet

Posted via Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084