Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    515 Global Posts

Default Can someone recommend a DARK Bedside alarm clock?

Coming from Blackberry where there is a terrific dark bedside mode. I have an Xperia ZL and every one I try looks dark but lights up the room like crazy. Anyone know of one that is truly dark and has a legit bedside mode?

Default Re: Can someone recommend a DARK Bedside alarm clock?

Welcome to Android Central! What about the stock Jellybean Alarm Clock--do you have that? Just open Clock, and tap the menu button, select Night Mode.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    515 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    Welcome to Android Central! What about the stock Jellybean Alarm Clock--do you have that? Just open Clock, and tap the menu button, select Night Mode.
    I do, and in a dark room it's still quite bright...even the dark background emits quite a bit.

You could also install an app that dims the screen further than the stock controls usually allow. Try Screen Filter or Screen Dimmer. Keep in mind, though, that when you dim the screen with these apps, you might encounter a weird glitch with Amazon Appstore that prevents you from pressing the Install button when trying to download and install an app. This resolves once you turn off the dimmer.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    515 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    You could also install an app that dims the screen further than the stock controls usually allow. Try Screen Filter or Screen Dimmer. Keep in mind, though, that when you dim the screen with these apps, you might encounter a weird glitch with Amazon Appstore that prevents you from pressing the Install button when trying to download and install an app. This resolves once you turn off the dimmer.
    Thanks. Tried it just now and it certainly dims what is on the screen but not the black background. You wouldn't think black could emit light but it does.

Did you work out the way to get the screen to dim further?

Try this app, it might let you set the brightness lower than factory default: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...om.bwx.bequick

You can also use Tasker and create a task to set display brightness and "disable safeguard" to set the brightness low as possible.

Otherwise, buy a device with AMOLED screen and use a clock widget that let you change text color like Chronus or DashClock maybe.

sent via tapatalk

I had the same problem so I built a darkening screen (made of glass and plastic)
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    515 Global Posts

Cool solution!

Global Posts
    435 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I think the issue may be that you have an LCD screen. My Moto X is my first AMOLED screen phone. When the screen is black there is 0 light emitting from that part of the screen unlike an LCD screen which still emits light from the blacked areas. In regards to the alarm clock, I just use the daydream feature.

Posted via a beautiful Ebony backed Moto X or the amazing Nexus 10 using the totally awesome Android Central App
    Tim
    Droid 4
    Nexus 10
    Lapdock 500 Pro

I use desk clock plus. It has a night mode with a black background and floating green clock. I also go into Settings> Screen Saver Properties and change Dim Timeout to "Immediately" and Dim Level to "80%".

Like others said, an LCD screen won't dim as much as an AMOLED screen, but this app has worked the best of any desk clock/dock app that I've tried. It also has some other cool features.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    5,590 Global Posts
    ROM
    X-Note7.0.1

If the phone (regardless of the screen type) is in a TPU case (they protrude about 1/8" past the screen) and you put it face down, there won't be any light coming out of it.

(As far as black emitting light, there's an LED panel behind the screen. The screen is transmissive - it blocks the light that shouldn't come through, it doesn't generate light itself. An LED screen only blocks about 95% at best, so even black allows some light through.)