Brand new S4 has google contacts on phone which are not mine???

GW69

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
Hi All,

Can someone please explain why there are contacts loaded on my "brand new" S4 I received via Cell C in South Africa yesterday?

It is concerning me that they have supplied me with a re-worked/repaired phone that someone else has used previously.

There are about 10 contacts that show up, all are linked to google, not on the phone memory or sim memory. Numbers from friends, to "moms".

UK, American and local SA numbers.

Please advise if anyone know as if it is the case they have supplied me with a second hand phone I want to return it ASAP.

Thanks in advance.

Graham

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I'm not sure how that can happen, since the phone's Google account should be yours, and any Google account contacts should only be from your account. Are you certain the contacts are from your Google account? Select one of the contacts in the People/Contacts app, tap menu and then Edit, and look at the top of the screen--does it say "Google Contact" with your Gmail address, or "Phone Contact"? If it says Phone Contact, then you're probably right, you got a refurbished phone, although I'm still not sure how someone else's contacts could remain on the device after it was presumably wiped prior to your buying it.

If it says Google Contact and it's your Gmail address, then is it possible someone accidentally entered contacts into your Google account, maybe when it was left open on a computer somewhere? Are these contacts anyone you recognize at all?

GW69

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
Hi B.Diddy,

Thank you for the welcome and reply.

I checked one of the contacts and it is in fact a google contact linked to my gmail account. When going into my gmail account the contacts exist but they must have been added automatically during email correspondance between myself and them.

Thanks for the info.

This at least puts my mind at ease.

Cheers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress