Recording your screen activity for tutorials, demos and etc.

JaneSpau

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I need to record several howtos for my group of creative apps users. We do weekly challenges and many are new to most of the apps, so I am trying to do tutorials to go along with the challenge, but am finding that photos with arrows and circles are not doing the trick, they need to see it in action. I know this is an easy task on IOS, but I can find nothing short of rooting or very complicated tethering to the PC for Android which seems really strange to me. I know nothing of rooting and am not sure it is even what I would want to do to my tablet. (Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, original edition) Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated here. Truthfully, if i could afford it, I would buy a small iPad just to do this. Thanks in advance.....

Jane

Kevin Kennedy

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
From what I've seen there is no app that allows someone to screen record without rooting. Rooting is not something that will harm or affect your tablet negatively, you can root your tablet and keep everything the way it was. Although on a Samsung tablet like I have you cannot update your tablet any longer via ota or through kies, other than that I find the benefits of rooting outweigh the bad. If rooting is out of the question I'm not really sure what you could do other than using a PC to record your screen.

Posted via Android Central App

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
The only viable option would be to capture video output with some sort of HDMI out or MHL solution. Unfortunately, many Android devices protect their output using HDCP, meaning you can view the output (such as on a TV), but can't record it through some sort of hardware interface (such as a capture card connected to a computer). Some devices only restrict output availability with HDCP when protected content (DRM-protected video content in Netflix, for example), so only during such playback would the capture system not work. I don't know which category the original Note 10.1 falls under, unfortunately. Your best bet would be purchasing an HDMI video out adapter for the tablet and simply trying it out, but if it doesn't work you'll probably be stuck with the adapter.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
An HDMI adaptor was my first thought too. If you get an adaptor made by Samsung, that would have the greatest success in working. Have you looked for such an adaptor on the Android Central shopping site, ShopAndroid? I found an HDMI adaptor that was a lot cheaper than what Samsung wanted.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC forums app

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
An HDMI adaptor was my first thought too. If you get an adaptor made by Samsung, that would have the greatest success in working. Have you looked for such an adaptor on the Android Central shopping site, ShopAndroid? I found an HDMI adaptor that was a lot cheaper than what Samsung wanted.

Yep, this is probably the best bet:

Samsung HDMI Smart Adapter Bundle (MHL Port + MHL to HDMI Adapter) - ShopAndroid

Edit: I'm not completely sure that this will work with the original 10.1; you might want to check the accessory details on another third-party site or Samsung's site if it's still listed there.

JaneSpau

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I have no clue of how to properly root my Note and I do know that if you do it incorrectly you can end up with a non functional device, or at least the podcasts I have seen about the subject seem to believe so. How can I learn about this subject?

JaneSpau

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
This HDMI adapter does not list the Note 10.1 but I do have an adapter that allows me to watch things on my TV from the tablet. Is this what you mean?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
This HDMI adapter does not list the Note 10.1 but I do have an adapter that allows me to watch things on my TV from the tablet. Is this what you mean?

That is what I was shooting for. If that will work for you.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC forums app

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke