Google Now Voice Command "Navigate to work" is not Recognized

DFWdude

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
I have a Nexus 4 running stock Android 4.3, rooted. I like to use Google Now voice control in the car, but I can never get the command "navigate to work" to work.
I have my work address saved in Google Maps as "work," just like I have my home address saved under "home." The "navigate to home" voice action works perfectly: it always pulls up directions to my home. The "navigate to work" voice action NEVER works, it always pulls up Google search for the phrase "navigate to work.":mad:
I need the functionality because I require directions to work often.
If anyone has any insight to how to get around this issue, please share.
PS I can search "work" in Google Maps and it does pull up my work address.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! That's strange--"navigate to work" functions correctly on Google Now on my Razr Maxx. Maybe a root issue? Are you running the stock ROM, or a custom one?

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
This has worked for me at some times, and not at others. It hasn't worked lately. You and I aren't the only ones having trouble with it, trust me. There's one fix I saw in the Android subreddit a while back that worked for some.

Here are the instructions from that post, paraphrased.

1. Google Maps → Menu Drawer → Settings → "Edit home or work"
  2. The address shown was correct, displayed as "Blah Apartments, 123 Blah Street, Apt 456, Blahville, ST".
  3. Even though it's shown properly, select the "Edit home address" item.
  4. From the list presented, select the item that correctly identifies your home.
  5. It may change (subtly) to "123 Blah Street, Apt 456, Blahville, ST". Note that "Blah Apartments" has been removed

This may or may not be the issue for you, but it seemed to help some. It didn't for me. :-\

LevyKM

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
Same issue here. The issue appears to be specific to my account as other accounts on my phone do not have this problem. Keeping a 2nd account on my phone would be a workaround, but I really want to fix this issue and haven't found any other resources yet. Good luck!

Micah Turner

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
I have a Nexus 4 running stock Android 4.3, rooted. I like to use Google Now voice control in the car, but I can never get the command "navigate to work" to work.
I have my work address saved in Google Maps as "work," just like I have my home address saved under "home." The "navigate to home" voice action works perfectly: it always pulls up directions to my home. The "navigate to work" voice action NEVER works, it always pulls up Google search for the phrase "navigate to work.":mad:

I just had that problem and fixed it by doing the following:

-go to Google now
-scroll down to the bottom
-tap the wand icon on the bottom right
-go to places
-tap on work
- - the address was slightly off aand it said "not recognized" or something similar
-changed the work address to the correct one
-now google recognizes "navigate to work" again

illogos

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
Necro, I know, but I fixed this on my Nexus 5. I had to enable Web History. At some point in time Google changed things to check Web History (recent searches) for locations and places even though it's fully listed in Google Now and Google Maps. After enabling history and setting addresses again / searching addresses in maps google now started to work instantly by saying navigate home / work.

pcatinella

Apr 18, 2016
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! That's strange--"navigate to work" functions correctly on Google Now on my Razr Maxx. Maybe a root issue? Are you running the stock ROM, or a custom one?

I have no idea **** I do have the Droid Maxx and have always been able to just say navigate to work and it will automatically take me there. The only thing that I can think of is I recently changed my password for my Gmail and not sure if that has anything to do with this problem... Please help!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I have no idea **** I do have the Droid Maxx and have always been able to just say navigate to work and it will automatically take me there. The only thing that I can think of is I recently changed my password for my Gmail and not sure if that has anything to do with this problem... Please help!

Welcome to Android Central! Open Google Now, swipe in from the left, tap Customize, and make sure your workplace is correctly listed. If it isn't, tap it and edit it.

Rohit0165

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site

Turn on gps on your mobile and try

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech