1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    92 Global Posts

Default Noob Q: Apps and SDCards and stuff (Oh My!)

I'm a relative Android noob, even though I had a Droid X back when they were the hot new thing. After two years on an iPhone, I'm back with a Galaxy Note 3, which I LOVE. But I'm having to re-learn everything.

I just put a 32 gig SD card in today. I went through and moved all the apps that would let me to the sdcard. But they appear to just be in an /sdcard directory, not on the actual external card, which appears to be under another dir, ExtSdCard or something. Can I move them to the real SD card?

Also, my Music was on the main storage too. I just used ES File Manager and moved it over to the real SD card. How do I make sure the system can find it? In regular Linux, I'd just make a symbolic link, but I wondered about how to do it in Android.

Thanks!

Rob

Global Posts
    6,761 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Default Re: Noob Q: Apps and SDCards and stuff (Oh My!)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
    I'm a relative Android noob, even though I had a Droid X back when they were the hot new thing. After two years on an iPhone, I'm back with a Galaxy Note 3, which I LOVE. But I'm having to re-learn everything.

I just put a 32 gig SD card in today. I went through and moved all the apps that would let me to the sdcard. But they appear to just be in an /sdcard directory, not on the actual external card, which appears to be under another dir, ExtSdCard or something. Can I move them to the real SD card?

Also, my Music was on the main storage too. I just used ES File Manager and moved it over to the real SD card. How do I make sure the system can find it? In regular Linux, I'd just make a symbolic link, but I wondered about how to do it in Android.

Thanks!

Rob
    Hey Rob, welcome back! I don't think you can move apps to the external sd card. Everything stays on the internal to prevent piracy and most importantly, keep apps working properly. Wouldn't want an accidental sd card ejection/corruption and have it affect app performance. Keep in mind that the entire app data is not stored on the sd card. A portion remains on the devices available memory.

Regarding your music being transferred to the external sd card, does the music player find these after you completed the transfer? It should automatically scan the device, including external sd card, and play the music if its compatible. One issue I have heard is that album cover art may not transfer over correctly if the music was purchased through iTunes. Something to do with the format of the music, though I'm not quite sure.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    92 Global Posts

Thanks! Hmm... so what then, is the point, of moving an app to the SDCard if it's all the same memory?

Yeah it looks like it found it, but the playlists I created had gone blank and I had to recreate them.

Rob

I was actually wondering the same thing after going out and purchasing a 32Gb SD. I did find though that I could manually move apps over to my external SD by cutting/pasting the app folders in a Storage Manager app. When going back into the file manager, I don't see the app folder anywhere in my internal SD, while they are showing up on the external SD and running just fine. I was getting nowhere using apps like App2SD or the SanDisk app, but luckily the bloatware on my tablet included a pretty decent storage manager, albeit a little plain in the UI.

Not sure if this helps you at all, but it does look like it is possible.

Sent from my Zeepad 9XN using Tapatalk