S4 won't ignore useless wifi

srbh41413

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Often there are wifi points that make the radio connection like an open network, but really require some entering of registration on a web paage before actually connecting to internet. Starbucks here in Japan is an example.

My s4 connects wifi signal to such points, but after it cannot complete the registration, it thinks "no internet", even though it has perfectly strong LTE connection. And refuses to connect via LTE. In such case, I have to turn off wifi and then it's fine.

This is annoying in my office because my group's wifi is different from the one for the building in general, so I have to turn the wifi off and on depending on where I am in the building.

Is there a way to tell the s4 to "ignore wifi that doesn't have internet connection and use Cell signal instead"?

Thanks in advance.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
I would think that you can simply tell it to forget the connection. This usually only happens if you have previously connected to that connection.

mikew99

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Android automatically tries to reconnect to known (previously connected) networks, regardless of whether that network requires sign-in. In doing so, it can interrupt a perfectly good mobile data connection in favor of a WiFi connection that won't work without manual intervention. I run into this issue at airports all the time, and occasionally even while wandering about in cities.

This is [IMHO] a design flaw in the Android OS, and it's quite irritating when it happens. This used to happen with Windows, too, but Microsoft finally fixed by allowing you the option to "Connect automatically" (or not) for each connection. Hopefully, Android will fix this in a future release. Until then, we'll have to manually "Forget" the network (or temporarily turn off WiFi) whenever Android automatically connects to a dysfunctional network.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke