1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Just once/Always Help

I have a S3 and every time I select always open for a video or whatever it just tells me to reset the application settings. How do I make something always open with a app so I don't have to always select just once? Any help please!

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    13,914 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Default Re: Just once/Always Help

Quote Originally Posted by Miiiitch View Post
    I have a S3 and every time I select always open for a video or whatever it just tells me to reset the application settings. How do I make something always open with a app so I don't have to always select just once? Any help please!

Welcome to the forums.
    This depends on what you are doing, versus how many apps can use it.
    Say you download a new launcher. When you hit home, it will ask which launcher to use, stock or downloaded. Now, when you hit always, it will bring up a box that say s something like if you want to change this you have to reset the application settings.
    Are you getting this box every time?

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu 'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Yes I get that box every time. For example when I want to play a video it always ask what I want to open it with.

Global Posts
    13,914 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Quote Originally Posted by Miiiitch View Post
    Yes I get that box every time. For example when I want to play a video it always ask what I want to open it with.

And you click always for your choice?

From a Sprint Moto X using AC forums app

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu 'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

Right, it will ask with which applications to open it with. If you select the application and click the "Just once" box, then it will ask you again in the future, whereas if you click "Always" it will bring another window to let you know if you ever want to clear the defaults in the settings, but it will never ask you to choose between those applications again. Unless you clear the defaults in the setting.

Maybe you can help me. I was changing a ringtone and it asked if I wanted to use ZEDGE or the Android program. I choose the Android program and hit ALWAYS by mistake. I went to the apps, scrolled over to ALL, and now I don't know which app to choose to click on CLEAR DEFAULTS. All I know is the icon I clicked on had a picture of the green android guy, but I don't know which app to choose now. There is only one app under all with the Android guy that says RingTone Backup, but thats not it. I would think it would be a file that has to do with ringtones, but there are no other files with the word "Ring" in it. Can you please help? Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by angela24k View Post
    Maybe you can help me. I was changing a ringtone and it asked if I wanted to use ZEDGE or the Android program. I choose the Android program and hit ALWAYS by mistake. I went to the apps, scrolled over to ALL, and now I don't know which app to choose to click on CLEAR DEFAULTS. All I know is the icon I clicked on had a picture of the green android guy, but I don't know which app to choose now. There is only one app under all with the Android guy that says RingTone Backup, but thats not it. I would think it would be a file that has to do with ringtones, but there are no other files with the word "Ring" in it. Can you please help? Thank you.
    I don't know how to clear a specific default, but to clear all app defaults, go to Settings -> Apps page, go to the menu (the 3 vertical dots on the upper right) -> Reset app preferences.

BTW, the "green android guy" choice is just "Media Storage", and it's not a true app. It's probably just a default location to look for ringtones. On Android 4.4.2, I have a directory/folder called Ringtones. If I put my audio file in there, then when asked which app to use for finding my ringtone, I choose Media Storage, I see my audio file and can select it as my ringtone. Hope that helps.