Galaxy S3: Frozen on Samsung Start Screen after Software Update

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
I also have the same problem. It says "the device version cannot be updated".

Download ODIN
Download Stock firmware from sammobile.com
Run Odin & S3 in Odin mode
Click "PDA" in odin and locate the stock firmware you just downloaded.
Run Odin and it should transfer everything successfully and reboot and your phone is back in working order

jpuccini

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site
Re: S3 Frozen on Samsung Start Screen after Software Update

I did this, but in my case it does not work because, at the moment to do the update, Kies does not recognize the device.

Please, help me!

For some strange reason Kies is not recognizing my serial number. just to clarify, the S/N is the same thing as the IMEI number on the back of my phone right ?

Moni Stern

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
I managed to recover the firmware (thanks a lot) , it worked 1 day and the system is frozen again, I will redo it, however, i guess that there is a reason why it is frozen which causes it to get stuck, does anybody know why? how can i solve the cause?

Ni, S/N can be found under the battery, copy it and it should work for you.

Last edited by a moderator:

meoMonares

May 16, 2013
Visit site

Can't believe after 10 months, I will be doing this stuff again. My apologies to those who asked me. I haven't been actively logging in here for a while.

meoMonares

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Is this what you are seeing?
GT-I9300.jpg

Hello everyone,

Same thing happened to me on Thursday. Did a OTA update to Android 4.3, and after the phone restarted it stopped on the Samsung Logo screen.

The first thing I tried was the 'Firmware Upgrade & initialization' option in both Kies and Kies 3. I managed to get quite far, but at some point of the download/installation process I got an error message saying that the device was not recognised.

I've done lots of reading, but have not managed to find a solution.

Has anyone had the same problem?

Regards

Is this what you are seeing?
GT-I9300.jpg

Hi I've tried the above method and get to step 11 and it stops working after the firmware has fully downloaded. It tried to upload on to phone but this is what happens: View attachment 110719

Please any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

I can't believe that I'd be experiencing the same problem you had. This is my third time to experience system crash with my S3. And now I'm getting f*cked up with this thing. That "unrecognizable" thing happened to me as well and I seriously don't know what to do. I have tried almost a dozen times but same result. Until I realized, I already have the latest firmware upgrade. I am in my way for finding the real solution for this. Been stuck for 4 days nows. I am considering through ODIN. I'm currently downloading the latest firmware from Samsung Updates. I'll get back to you as soon as it made the difference. Thanks!

Rgomez90

Jan 2, 2015
Visit site

i've the same problem on mu S3 SGH-T999L t-mobile version, i updated to 4.3 about 6 months ago and 2 days ago i decided to restore factory settings to start this new year with my phone as new, the problem was that after the factory reset my phone is empty, cant go further than boot logo as u described, and i've already tried the solution u gave (use kies/update and initialization, it looked like it worked, but after the software downloaded all the data and installed in the phone, it reboot and again the same problem, nothing else happens, it is still in the t-mobile logo screen. i dunno what else to do, ive tried instaling SO by odin in PC but no solution :'(

Ahmad Nassar

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
Does This Method Erase All Your Data ?

Cause I Have No other choice but trying this way (All other means failed to boot my mobile or restoring the data)

Actually getting my data is more important than the device itself, it has 2 and half years of notes, pics, and conversations.

swatimadan

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Hi,

I am facing the exact problem with my samsung s3(its just 2 month old). The problem is I cannot do any of the above steps as my phone is completely out of battery and now it wont charge. I dont know what to do :(..Pls help !!

Fonix2010

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
Hi I get past step 10 then this pops up

Is it safe to say yes and proceed or is this not part of the guide??

View attachment 111135

would it wipe out all my data ?
KIES3.jpg
This is the pop up warning when using the firmware upgrade and initialization while entering the Phone in download mode.

To some users in this thread it didnt wipe their data. However, My experience IT DID WIPE EVERYTHING, but I did initially have a full backup before trying to upgrade from 4.1.2 to 4.3 (which lead to my phone being stuck in startup). So use this as last resort. I think flashing single file using odin would keep all user data, but I have not tried that.

The Kies restore process restored all except Call log, network settings, and the installed apps (and their data) Luckily I have all apks backed up.
If anyone knows how to restore our network setting lemme know.

Everyone do take note if the 4.3 upgrade was successful you will need to use kies3 for ANYTHING, if not you will need kies2.6. My Backup process was done using kies2.6 Before I attempted the upgrade to 4.3. My phone recovery (firmware upgrade and initialization) and then restoration process were done using Kies3

I want to note I also had the greyed out start upgrade button, using windows vista I noticed the USB drivers are not stable, and devicemanager.exe kept crashing when I plugged in the phone to the pc when kies requests me to do so. I noticed I had better luck putting the phone in download mode, then plug the phone to the pc THEN launch Kies program.

Better luck dealing with Greyed out Start Upgrade button:
1. Enter phone to Download mode
2. Connect phone to PC (if devicemanager crashes disconnect and reconnect)
3. launch proper kies version for your phone

Hi,

I am facing the exact problem with my samsung s3(its just 2 month old). The problem is I cannot do any of the above steps as my phone is completely out of battery and now it wont charge. I dont know what to do :(..Pls help !!

You need to purchase a new battery and charger if yours isnt working. Then recharge the battery fully. Then follow the steps mentioned.

Does This Method Erase All Your Data ?
Cause I Have No other choice but trying this way (All other means failed to boot my mobile or restoring the data)
Actually getting my data is more important than the device itself, it has 2 and half years of notes, pics, and conversations.

Indeed going on 2.5 years without backing up your device nor saving your videos and pics, is a total bummer. Now with MTP device protocol its faster and safer than mass storage device.
In addition android has made it extremely easy to export your contact list into a single vcf file. I dont know why anyone wouldnt make it a habit to backup the contacts monthly.

I would suggest you try some data recovering software before attempting this initialization method. Maybe the recovery software might be able to view your phone as mass storage and retrieve your data. Do this as last resort as there is 50% chance it WILL wipe your phone.

doodlebop123

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
It did work to get past the annoying "Samsung" logo, but be careful.. NONE OF MY DATA SAVED, and it's likely that none of yours will save either. I lost all of my pictures, contacts, etc. I don't see how this would've been different from a factory reset, because either way, you lose all your stuff. You're basically starting from ground zero.

Like everyone else said, use this as a last resort! Try to hack into your phone with Odin or something, I don't know..I'm not a huge Android tech person.

Let's remember to back up our crap at least once a month, just in case something like this ever happens again. It sucks losing all of your precious memories. :-\

Haizal Anuar

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
Is this thread still active? i tried your method but im stuck here.. the 'start upgrade' button is not active.
what should i do??

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    21.4 KB · Views: 16

Lyndylou16

May 28, 2015
Visit site
Having searched many forums etc, on this problem, I came across a really helpful post from a guy and it has worked for me! The FIX he found was to turn off WiFi and Mobile data on the Samsung S3. I did this and voila! - it worked! :D The same day that I came across that post my new battery was delivered, so I inserted that too. Whether it was turning the WiFi and Mobile Data off that completely fixed the screamingly frustrating problem of the reboot and switching off of my Samsung S3, or a combination of that and a new battery being inserted, I can not be sure, but it is worth turning those two things off before buying a new battery! I just happened to have the new battery ordered before I read the post so inserted it anyway! Good luck everyone :)

Mira Bakhda

Jul 9, 2015
Visit site
Thanks a Tons...Thank you soo much.. your post saved me soo much.. i was like Finally decided on formatting after all sort of experiments when i came across your post saying its Firmware issue..
I tired your Firmware upgrade & initialization.. i did whole process & now.. yooppiieee its working out great.. Thank you so much..

Fateme Zade

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site

hey, thank you so much. It really helps me a lot.
just registering to say thank you, thank you so much.
and here was my mistake first, I am sharing with you in case of happening for u too.
I just pressed the volume bottom, power and home and nothing happened, make sure to press volume "down" part, power and home to go to the odin.
good luck, and thank you so much again

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37