Adding an event from gmail to calendar

Xenon89

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I have a nexus 4 running android 4.3. On my gmail app none of the times or dates are highlighted so that I can add the event to my calendar. In contrast, when I log into my gmail on my PC I am able to use that function. Any help or ideas?

Thanks!

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I have a nexus 4 running android 4.3. On my gmail app none of the times or dates are highlighted so that I can add the event to my calendar. In contrast, when I log into my gmail on my PC I am able to use that function. Any help or ideas?

Thanks!

On the web they are combined. In Android they are separate apps. Just open the calendar app on your phone.

Xenon89

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
I don't understand. So what if I open the calendar app? I want to click the time/date on the gmail app on my phone and add the event to the calendar like that.

On my iphone mail I would just click the time/date and it would add the event. Thats what I want to do. Is that possible?

Thanks!

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Not in the gmail app. The people app, calendar app and gmail app are all separate apps that work with each other. On the gmail website they are combined.
If you mean when someone sends you an invite via a .ics file, you can do what you ask in gmail on the web but not in the app. There are 3rd party apps and plugins that are supposed to work but i have not found one yet.

I got it to partially work. Go to your calendar settings on the web. (google.com/calendar). Towards the bottom you will see this:

Automatically add invitations to my calendar:
Yes, but don't send event reminders unless I have responded "Yes" or "Maybe"
No, only show invitations to which I have responded

Choose either the first one if you want to accept any invitation or the 2nd one. You can click on the event in your calendar and choose to respond or not. You can also delete it at that time.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Xenon89

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Thanks a lot, appreciate it. I guess that is one thing I miss on my iphone, but overall still prefer android. That feature is just so handy, like in my flight emails I would just click on the date/time and it would add to my calendar.

richard_rsp

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Hmm.... I am actually quite a bit surprised and disappointed that this is not a feature of Android, or at least 3rd party option. I have had my Moto X for a week now, and just discovered that this isn't possible. On iOS, this is incredibly useful for creating events; even better on BB 10 because it even references the emails for looking up in the future.

I saw an app named Quick Event that seems like it might add somewhat of an easier method for adding events to calendars from email, but it doesn't appear to work on KitKat.

Anyone else have any recommendations?

Richardnard

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
still amazes me as well that this is not a feature available for us from our phones. Perhaps Google Inbox can help........... don't think so. Best you can do is have the email show up at a specific date and time for you to act on it. Not ideal since I am trying to utilize my google calendar to contain all of these events and tasks to follow up on.

perhaps I am missing something basic here. Anyone?

Figured I'd check in a year later to see if this bit of integration was achievable, any ideas?

Posted via the Android Central App

Eccentric Rogue

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
This has been an annoyance since the creation of the first gmail app. I would simply ask "Why can I take an incoming email and create an event with it in my calendar with an iphone but not an android device?" Its common business practice, I need that functionality multiple times a day. This is just a big silly miss by gmail app team in my books.

Farabi Ahmed Tarhan

Dec 14, 2015
Visit site
2 years passed since this problem announced but still there is no solution. Why are the android developpers of google not trying to listen users?

I started to use Note 5, but I cant add an event by a just one click on highlighted date in my mail as I did for 6 years on my Iphone 4. It is very dissapointing for me. Because i would use this feature three times a day rather than using ultra utopic human interference applications like eye tracking etc.

avilatech

Mar 8, 2016
Visit site
Hello, My name is Avilatech.
I notice that you guys are looking for the same thing that i have been looking for, how to add events / appointments from gmail to calendar.
it is true it's been something that GMAIL has not been able to do and there are several 3rd party apps that will works.

I personally have used K9MAIL but it lags after a while because of the amount of email that i get it takes for ever to download the emails but it does gives you the option of adding it to your calendar from within the email.

at this time i am using AQUAMAIL it has work 110% good so far, no lags no problems it just does what i need it to do.
this might be some email apps that might interest you since GMAIL for some reason or another has not been able to do what it's needs.

It is a shame that we have to go to other apps since GOOGLE is so huge, but even GOOGLE cant make all things possible.

fayseman

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
I am actually fairly confident I read about this a long time ago and that this is essentially a patent issue. Apple owns a software patent on the "date click to auto populate calendar event" thing, and I think it was part of a big payout to Apple in one the Apple vs Samsung decisions, and as a part of the verdict Samsung (and Android?) had to get rid of that feature. I agree it continues to suck not having that feature, but it really just makes me dislike Apple.

Peter Endre Nagy

Jul 12, 2016
Visit site
Yes there's an app called Nine, that one has Create Event right from the email. Does exchange, GAL and all the things we need and all that the same-all email apps come short of.
7-day or 10-day trial or something like that, after that a few bucks. But if you don't mind clearing data in app info and set it up again every 2nd week, then it's forever free:)
I used Blackberry before and I still say that android is not for business users who require a productive device but for people who love to spend time with their phones. Been through a number of droids but it's actually the software that makes everything android so annoyingly messy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Monkey Flower

Jan 9, 2018
Visit site
Hey y'all I found the solution. If you use the what's on my screen feature in assistant while the page is open on Gmail it will recognize and event and quickly create an event post. For some reason it only seems to work if you click the suggested action button in assistant for what's on my screen. If I actually speak the command I just get the information about how to use the feature. Anyways. Weird... In theory the smart text select functionality on oreo should recognize dates and help create calendar events with a double tap but that also doesn't seem to work for me in Gmail.

Hope that helps.

Mzkuad

Sep 14, 2018
Visit site
All my email accounts are set up on my Samsung 8. I go to my gmail email. Open the email I want. I simply click create event and go from there. Orrr for older phone versions you can save the email using the save email feature. This is also on my Samsung 8 (use the 3 dots menu in the upper right hand corner). Then once saved, go to saved email folder (usually under All Accounts); click create event using the 3 dot menu. It gives me the option to create event in gmail calendar or the Samsung calendar. I choose gmail and I'm done. It works just like the desktop version. Done. Easy peasy folks.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781