1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Adding an event from gmail to calendar

Hi,

I have a nexus 4 running android 4.3. On my gmail app none of the times or dates are highlighted so that I can add the event to my calendar. In contrast, when I log into my gmail on my PC I am able to use that function. Any help or ideas?

Thanks!

Default Re: Adding an event from gmail to calendar

Quote Originally Posted by Xenon89 View Post
    Hi,

I have a nexus 4 running android 4.3. On my gmail app none of the times or dates are highlighted so that I can add the event to my calendar. In contrast, when I log into my gmail on my PC I am able to use that function. Any help or ideas?

Thanks!
    On the web they are combined. In Android they are separate apps. Just open the calendar app on your phone.
    Pat
    Nook Color - CM10.1 ( Jelly Bean 4.2.2) on eMMC
    Google Galaxy Nexus - stock Jelly Bean 4.3
    Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I don't understand. So what if I open the calendar app? I want to click the time/date on the gmail app on my phone and add the event to the calendar like that.

On my iphone mail I would just click the time/date and it would add the event. Thats what I want to do. Is that possible?

Thanks!

Not in the gmail app. The people app, calendar app and gmail app are all separate apps that work with each other. On the gmail website they are combined.
    If you mean when someone sends you an invite via a .ics file, you can do what you ask in gmail on the web but not in the app. There are 3rd party apps and plugins that are supposed to work but i have not found one yet.

I got it to partially work. Go to your calendar settings on the web. (google.com/calendar). Towards the bottom you will see this:

Automatically add invitations to my calendar:
    Yes, but don't send event reminders unless I have responded "Yes" or "Maybe"
    No, only show invitations to which I have responded

Choose either the first one if you want to accept any invitation or the 2nd one. You can click on the event in your calendar and choose to respond or not. You can also delete it at that time.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by patruns; 11-12-2013 at 09:51 AM. Reason: update
    Pat
    Nook Color - CM10.1 ( Jelly Bean 4.2.2) on eMMC
    Google Galaxy Nexus - stock Jelly Bean 4.3
    Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Thanks a lot, appreciate it. I guess that is one thing I miss on my iphone, but overall still prefer android. That feature is just so handy, like in my flight emails I would just click on the date/time and it would add to my calendar.

Hmm.... I am actually quite a bit surprised and disappointed that this is not a feature of Android, or at least 3rd party option. I have had my Moto X for a week now, and just discovered that this isn't possible. On iOS, this is incredibly useful for creating events; even better on BB 10 because it even references the emails for looking up in the future.

I saw an app named Quick Event that seems like it might add somewhat of an easier method for adding events to calendars from email, but it doesn't appear to work on KitKat.

Anyone else have any recommendations?