Galaxy System Images.

sk3j

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
hi,
I apologise if this thread is in the wrong area; this is literally my first day here.

so, I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 (T-Mobile's Version), and I was wondering a few things:

does the backup function (the one that can be found by holding volume buttons and power button to get to that special menu) create an actual system image of my phone that saves everything about it?
if not, is there any way I can do that? or is there some (free) way I can back up the most amount of data possible?
I ask this because my sister and I have the same phone, except hers is grey and mine is white, and she wants to swap with me. which leads me to my other question:
my phone is rooted, and hers is not. if there is a way to create a system image of our phones so they can be switched, would the fact that mine is rooted, or the fact that hers is not, disturb anything? I have a firewall app on my phone that requires root, but I only run it when I'm at my university, because there is no T-Mobile up there, and I don't want to waste data roaming when there's wifi around. if it does, I could probably just unroot it, although I doubt she'll even notice enough to break anything. I just don't want to try the wrong thing and mess everything up.

thanks for any and all help!

Matt_Zenick

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
yes when you boot into CWM you can create a backup called a nandroid backup an it will save every detail about your phone.
you can use your backup on her phone its just that you will have to use a root explorer app and go to the file called nandroid .md5 and delete the text in that file

sk3j

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
yes when you boot into CWM you can create a backup called a nandroid backup an it will save every detail about your phone.
you can use your backup on her phone its just that you will have to use a root explorer app and go to the file called nandroid .md5 and delete the text in that file

I'm kind of shaky on what you're saying here...
so, will I end up having to root her phone before I use my backup on it? and there's text inside the nandroid.md5, or do I delete the whole thing?

Matt_Zenick

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm kind of shaky on what you're saying here...
so, will I end up having to root her phone before I use my backup on it? and there's text inside the nandroid.md5, or do I delete the whole thing?
if you install CWM on her phone you can use your backup on it if you delete the TEXT in the .md5.

when you delete the text save the file lake out your SD card and put it in her slot (that's what she said) then boot into CWM recovery on her phone and hit backup/restore and restore the backup

sk3j

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
that makes a little more sense, thanks a lot! we both are on stock ROMs which should be the CWM/Odin thing, since we have the same phone, but I downloaded it just in case. I'll try this when I see her next week.
thanks again!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa