1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    6 Global Posts

Default Why Does Google maps wakelock my phone 80 TIMES overnight?

WTFFFFF???
    Was wondering why my battery life recently took a huge hit overnight so i decide to install an app and see what was waking up my phone!

Why does google maps(Google In general) feel the need to search for my location 80 times overnight?
    I turned off location on my phone(Samsung Galaxy S3 running STOCK 4.1.2) unchecked google search, etc.
    Uninstalled updates(gmaps) even did a factory reset and formatted usb storage to no avail.
    HTC one x running stock 4.1.2 does the same thing. How can this happen after turning off location services and even disabling google maps?

Default Re: Why Does Google maps wakelock my phone 80 TIMES overnight?

Welcome to Android Central! 80 wakelocks is actually prettly negligible in the grand scheme of the Android system. Those wakelocks are probably very brief, and might have to do with other apps that you might have granted location access to. It's when you see the wakelocks getting into the thousands that you start getting suspicious. It's also helpful to see the duration held awake by those 80 wakelocks--again, it may be a very small amount.

If you haven't done so already, review this guide for more tips: [Guide] Battery Saving Tips
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    6 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    Welcome to Android Central! 80 wakelocks is actually prettly negligible in the grand scheme of the Android system. Those wakelocks are probably very brief, and might have to do with other apps that you might have granted location access to. It's when you see the wakelocks getting into the thousands that you start getting suspicious. It's also helpful to see the duration held awake by those 80 wakelocks--again, it may be a very small amount.

If you haven't done so already, review this guide for more tips: [Guide] Battery Saving Tips
    I like how you assume that the wakelocks are very brief...that is not the issue! Please don't patronize
    The issue is it should not be happening and I think the fact that this type of activity should not happen with location services disabled and google maps disabled. Did you ever think that their may be something else going on rather than just ASSuming?

good luck and enjoy the wonderful Android and your wakelocks
    Banned

Global Posts
    856 Global Posts

It's probably Carrier IQ. That is very hard to stop. On my G2 you can disable it in Apps-Running-Android System. It starts back if you restart the phone.

Sent from my LG-D800 using AC Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Baldberry View Post
    I like how you assume that the wakelocks are very brief...that is not the issue! Please don't patronize
    The issue is it should not be happening and I think the fact that this type of activity should not happen with location services disabled and google maps disabled. Did you ever think that their may be something else going on rather than just ASSuming?

I was in no way being patronizing, and I'm sorry if it came across that way. I was simply basing my statement on my experience. Please note that I mentioned that wakelocks can be brief or they can be prolonged, and they might also be related to some other location function, so I felt that could still be the issue. If you would care to elaborate on your wakelocks and perhaps post some screenshots of your detailed battery stats, perhaps someone could be of more assistance. Good luck to you as well.

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    13,931 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Quote Originally Posted by Baldberry View Post

I am inclined to agree with the posting of screenshots. If you have 80 wakelocks for a total of a few minutes, then it isn't an issue.
    If you can also please post screenshots of the battery stats, and the graph, please do so.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu 'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    6 Global Posts

no screenshots, got rid of the phone thx anyway