1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Unfortunately, Email has stopped - Unable to check email

Hello fellow forum goers.

I recently have started to experiencing the infamous 'Unfortunately, Email has stopped" error with my Samsung Galaxy Rugby Pro. The phone is using Jelly Bean 4.1.2 with Kernal 3.0.31-1371191. I have been able to use the native email application to check my email for easily the last year. However, last week, it has started to produce this issue. I am not sure what changed that has started to trigger it. I normally do not install updates, but as of a result of the error I have installed all updates to current to no avail.

Allow me to explain what is happening and what I have done to attempt to resolve:
    1. When I open email, I can see all my unread/read email for the various mail folders. When I attempt to open any individual email it hangs for a moment, then crashes with the above message.
    2. When I attempt to compose an email it crashes with the above message.
    3. When I attempt to add another account, after entering the email and password it crashes again with the above message.

Things I have done:
    1. Restarted my phone
    2. Force stopped email
    3. I installed all the latest updates, even installed the 'at&t messaging' application.
    4. I have since attempted to clear data and settings for email.
    5. I additionally removed my accounts and attempted to re-add them. However, I am again greeted with the crash. So now I have even less functionality then I had previously.

So anyway, I have no idea how to proceed with this. I will be taking it to the at&t store tomorrow to see if they can help. The phone has not been jail broken or re-imaged in any way.

Global Posts
    13,853 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Default Re: Unfortunately, Email has stopped - Unable to check email

Welcome to the forums.
    You can try clearing cache in the app. Settings>Apps>Swipe over to All Apps>scroll to email>click clear cache.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GubiD View Post
    Hello fellow forum goers.

I recently have started to experiencing the infamous 'Unfortunately, Email has stopped" error with my Samsung Galaxy Rugby Pro. The phone is using Jelly Bean 4.1.2 with Kernal 3.0.31-1371191. I have been able to use the native email application to check my email for easily the last year. However, last week, it has started to produce this issue. I am not sure what changed that has started to trigger it. I normally do not install updates, but as of a result of the error I have installed all updates to current to no avail.

Allow me to explain what is happening and what I have done to attempt to resolve:
    1. When I open email, I can see all my unread/read email for the various mail folders. When I attempt to open any individual email it hangs for a moment, then crashes with the above message.
    2. When I attempt to compose an email it crashes with the above message.
    3. When I attempt to add another account, after entering the email and password it crashes again with the above message.

Things I have done:
    1. Restarted my phone
    2. Force stopped email
    3. I installed all the latest updates, even installed the 'at&t messaging' application.
    4. I have since attempted to clear data and settings for email.
    5. I additionally removed my accounts and attempted to re-add them. However, I am again greeted with the crash. So now I have even less functionality then I had previously.

So anyway, I have no idea how to proceed with this. I will be taking it to the at&t store tomorrow to see if they can help. The phone has not been jail broken or re-imaged in any way.
    Welcome to the forums.
    You can try clearing cache in the app. Settings>Apps>Swipe over to All Apps>scroll to email>click clear cache.

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I have attempted to clear cache/data/settings for the email app to no avail. I am still met with the error.
    Last edited by GubiD; 12-09-2013 at 07:44 AM. Reason: spelling

Global Posts
    13,853 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

I can't think of anything else to suggest. Sorry.

From a Sprint Moto X on AC forums app.

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here

This happened to my lg optimus f3 I rooted it for hotspot but the error thing did not happen when I rooted it it happen a few months later I just returned it to best buy and got the s3 so just return it or restore ur phone
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

In order to fix this I ended up doing a Factory Reset. Still no idea what was going on, but that got it all fixed up. Reinstalled all updates and no issues. ???
    Whatever though, you can probably just close this item.