Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Can I update my rooted Sprint Galaxy S3 to 4.3?

I'd rather have an up to date phone than a rooted phone, I think. I just have it rooted to eliminate the shutter sound in the camera anyway.

Some threads say that they "lost root" when they updated. Does that mean I can just update and it'll be back to non-rooted normal? That would be easier than un-rooting, but I'm afraid to just click the OK button in case it messes things up.

Default Re: Can I update my rooted Sprint Galaxy S3 to 4.3?

Normally, an OTA update on a rooted phone (assuming it updates) will remove the root and you have to root it again if you wish. If you didn't modify any system files the OTA update should work.
    Pat

Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.4
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.4
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.4

I got the update notification and hit yes, phone landed on cwm, I hit reboot...update did not take. I was rooted but stock. any ideas?

Lumos, you have a custome bootloader... you would need to flash it back to a stock bootloader and then you can do the ota update..

The update just came through this morning for me. I tried to update and it failed for me as well. I rooted my phone to uninstall some unwanted software, but the bootloader is stock. Could that lack of software cause the problem?

Global Posts
    262 Global Posts

So,

If you simply rooted, and didn't install a custom bootloader or ROM, and you didn't mess with any core system files, then the update should install, and you'll simply lose root.

Correct?

Wipe data, and download original firmware from Sammobile, Then flash with odin, and then do a factory reset. Then root again.