1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Galaxy S3 won't remember notification sound preference

Hoping someone out there can help. I jut picked up a Samsung Galaxy S3, and I am trying to change my notification sound for text messages. I put an MP3 file in the appropriate folder, and selected it in the settings menu on messaging. It keeps reverting back to the old default message notification sound.

Has anyone else had this issue- and do you have any idea of how to get it to believe I want to use a different sound?

Thanks very much for any help you can offer!
    Last edited by Serge Storms; 12-19-2013 at 04:38 PM. Reason: getting rid of odd typo...

Global Posts
    13,913 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Default Re: Galaxy S3 won't remember notification sound preference

Quote Originally Posted by Serge Storms View Post
    Hoping someone out there can help. I jut picked up a Samsung Galaxy S3, and I am trying to change my notification sound for text messages. I put an MP3 file in the appropriate folder, and selected it in the settings menu on messaging. It keeps reverting back to the old default message notification sound.

Has anyone else had this issue- and do you have any idea of how to get it to believe I want to use a different sound?

Thanks cry much for any help you can offer!
    Try clearing cache in recovery then resetting your sounds. [Guide] Rebooting into Recovery Mode for the Galaxy S2, S3, and Tab2.

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu 'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: Galaxy S3 won't remember notification sound preference

Wiped the cache partition (closest option) in boot menu, no effect.

When I first set it, things are fine. Then a few hours later when I get a text , the annoying old default sound is back. I tried searching through the directories to see if I could delete it to force the issue, but no luck finding it. I've now placed the new sound in a different directory (where it still shows as an option), and we'll see how that goes.