Results 1 to 16 of 16
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By UJ95x
  • 1 Post By UJ95x
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Can I root my att Note 3 w/out Samsung finding out?

    I have a Galaxy Note 3 USA with att. Is there a way I could root the phone without Samsung finding out in case I need to use my warranty? I've done some research and heard something about knock sensors but don't really know to much about it. I heard there is a way to do this but wanted some feedback before I decide. Also heard something about an easy one click root?
    Thanks

    Posted via Android Central App
  2. #2  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    5,501 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,580 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

    Default Re: Can I root my att Note 3 w/out Samsung finding out?

    Any time your root or flash something other than the stock firmware, it will trip the flash counter. If you ever need to send it back to Samsung, you can reset the flash counter to zero using Triangle Away, essentially eliminating the evidence you rooted the phone.
    Everything in this post is 100% accurate...I think

    R.I.P. Motorola...and what could have been the best smartphone line ever
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Can I root my att Note 3 w/out Samsung finding out?

    Watch this review on YouTube by Erica Griffin it's quite long but she addresses the rooting situation. If I recall correctly, she says that Samsung has set the counter so that it may NOT be clocked back when Un-rooting back to stock & this could affect your warranty.
    However, don't take my word for this because I know little about the process, but I thought it might help if you had a look at this video - it's very informative anyway and will help you with lots of other stuff I'm sure.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default Re: Can I root my att Note 3 w/out Samsung finding out?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguetrader View Post
    Watch this review on YouTube by Erica Griffin it's quite long but she addresses the rooting situation. If I recall correctly, she says that Samsung has set the counter so that it may NOT be clocked back when Un-rooting back to stock & this could affect your warranty.
    However, don't take my word for this because I know little about the process, but I thought it might help if you had a look at this video - it's very informative anyway and will help you with lots of other stuff I'm sure.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app
    Thanks for the video. She suggested using a root method called De la Vega that does not trigger the Knox sensor. I also found another method called kingoapp which is supposedly easier and just one click to root. It also says that it doesn't trigger the Knox sensor Samsung has placed in the phone. Can anyone confirm this?

    Also another question I have. If I just root the phone for rooted Apps and not install a custom firmware, does that also trigger the Knox sensor? Is it the same as flashing custom roms?
    Thanks

    Posted via Android Central App
  5. #5  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    5,501 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,580 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

    Default Re: Can I root my att Note 3 w/out Samsung finding out?

    Quote Originally Posted by CeasarNY View Post
    Thanks for the video. She suggested using a root method called De la Vega that does not trigger the Knox sensor. I also found another method called kingoapp which is supposedly easier and just one click to root. It also says that it doesn't trigger the Knox sensor Samsung has placed in the phone. Can anyone confirm this?

    Also another question I have. If I just root the phone for rooted Apps and not install a custom firmware, does that also trigger the Knox sensor? Is it the same as flashing custom roms?
    Thanks

    Posted via Android Central App
    Rooting triggers the flash counter. Same for custom ROMs and recoveries

    Posted via Android Central App
    Everything in this post is 100% accurate...I think

    R.I.P. Motorola...and what could have been the best smartphone line ever
    Thanked by:
    CeasarNY likes this.
  6. #6  
    SebasCvdB's Avatar

    Posts
    183 Posts
    Global Posts
    508 Global Posts
    ROM
    Jedi V1.1 - KitKat 4.4.2

    Default Re: Can I root my att Note 3 w/out Samsung finding out?

    Root also trips the KNOX counter... which you CAN NOT change back even if you flash a Stock rom... Which will void your warranty...
    Do not question the words I type, question the reply you are typing at this moment...
    Thanked by:
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default Re: Can I root my att Note 3 w/out Samsung finding out?

    Quote Originally Posted by SebasCvdB View Post
    Root also trips the KNOX counter... which you CAN NOT change back even if you flash a Stock rom... Which will void your warranty...
    Is it true that rooting methods like kingoapp don't trigger the Knox sensor?

    Posted via Android Central App
  8. #8  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    5,501 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,580 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

    Default Re: Can I root my att Note 3 w/out Samsung finding out?

    Quote Originally Posted by SebasCvdB View Post
    Root also trips the KNOX counter... which you CAN NOT change back even if you flash a Stock rom... Which will void your warranty...
    Rooting alone will not void the warranty. Flashing any custom ROMs, recoveries or deleting system apps will. Also, if you had to unlock the bootloader to be able to root, THEN the warranty is void

    Posted via Android Central App
    Everything in this post is 100% accurate...I think

    R.I.P. Motorola...and what could have been the best smartphone line ever
  9. #9  
    SebasCvdB's Avatar

    Posts
    183 Posts
    Global Posts
    508 Global Posts
    ROM
    Jedi V1.1 - KitKat 4.4.2

    Default Re: Can I root my att Note 3 w/out Samsung finding out?



    The end reads MANY WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY IF YOUR DEVICE HAS BEEN ROOTED... Rooting is altering system files...

    Rooting alone WILL void your warranty since the Custom Flash counter WILL be tripped... I am surprised somebody with the title "Ambassador" fails into knowing information like this..
    Do not question the words I type, question the reply you are typing at this moment...
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Can I root my att Note 3 w/out Samsung finding out?

    One time I tried to mod my girlfriend's Galaxy Tab and I ended up bricking it. I called Samsung and told them what happened and they fixed it for me free of charge. I'm not saying you will for sure have the same experience, but usually they are pretty cool about that type of thing.
    What I had...
    What I have...
    Ebony/Black/Black Moto X
    Nexus 7 2013
    iPhone 5c

    X X X
  11. #11  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    5,501 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,580 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SebasCvdB View Post


    The end reads MANY WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY IF YOUR DEVICE HAS BEEN ROOTED... Rooting is altering system files...

    Rooting alone WILL void your warranty since the Custom Flash counter WILL be tripped... I am surprised somebody with the title "Ambassador" fails into knowing information like this..
    This is only for devices with Knox. Prior to that, you could root without voiding the warranty
    Rooting and warranty

    Posted via Android Central App
    Everything in this post is 100% accurate...I think

    R.I.P. Motorola...and what could have been the best smartphone line ever
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

    Default Re: Can I root my att Note 3 w/out Samsung finding out?

    So does that mean even root methods like kingoapp and De la Vega will trigger the sensor, and my warranty will be voided with no way to revert the counter if I need to send it back to Samsung?

    Posted via Android Central App
  13. #13  
    SebasCvdB's Avatar

    Posts
    183 Posts
    Global Posts
    508 Global Posts
    ROM
    Jedi V1.1 - KitKat 4.4.2

    Default Re: Can I root my att Note 3 w/out Samsung finding out?

    Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    This is only for devices with Knox. Prior to that, you could root without voiding the warranty
    Rooting and warranty

    Posted via Android Central App
    Alright but we are discussing the Galaxy Note 3 here which comes with KNOX...
    Do not question the words I type, question the reply you are typing at this moment...
  14. #14  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    5,501 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,580 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

    Default Re: Can I root my att Note 3 w/out Samsung finding out?

    Quote Originally Posted by SebasCvdB View Post
    Alright but we are discussing the Galaxy Note 3 here which comes with KNOX...
    Yeah...:\
    Everything in this post is 100% accurate...I think

    R.I.P. Motorola...and what could have been the best smartphone line ever
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

    Default Re: Can I root my att Note 3 w/out Samsung finding out?

    So is it worth it for me to root my note 3 and void the warranty it has?

    Posted via Android Central App
  16. #16  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    5,501 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,580 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

    Default Re: Can I root my att Note 3 w/out Samsung finding out?

    I would do it. Most of the time your carrier or insurance vendor doesn't even check for root. As long as you can flash a stock ROM afterwards, you should be fine.
    Everything in this post is 100% accurate...I think

    R.I.P. Motorola...and what could have been the best smartphone line ever
    Thanked by:
    CeasarNY likes this.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-28-2013, 11:56 AM
  2. Ordered my Moto G!
    By Kieran9810 in forum Moto G
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-22-2013, 01:30 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-22-2013, 01:18 PM
  4. my lg optimus s is stuck in recovery mode help!!!
    By bio2677 in forum LG Optimus S
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-21-2013, 05:50 PM
  5. Samsung Galaxy s3 How to use alphabet on keypad while in call
    By chaianne in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-21-2013, 02:11 PM

Posting Permissions

B