Shortcut to Nearby Devices?

kwhopson

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Hi -

On an ATT Samsung Galaxy S3 running 4.3 Jelly Bean (not rooted), I want to create a shortcut to Nearby Devices so I can easily toggle on/off my DLNA. It is found in Settings | Connections | Connect and Share.

Exploring the launcher shortcut options in Apex, Buzz, Nova, TouchWiz home and ssLauncher (my default), I could find no shortcut to Nearby Devices.

Using ES App Manager set to System Apps, I found Nearby Devices at com.sec.android.pernission.PERSONAL_MEDIA, but the 'Add To Desktop' feature in ES seemingly does nothing with this app.

I know I could probably use an app like Tasker to do this, but it seems there should be another way.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated - Ken

sauce_a_poutine

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I don't use DLNA, but I do stream stuff from my SMB shares. Using ES File Explorer, you can long-press a network shared media folder, and once it is selected with a tick-box, open the triple-dot "more" context menu and use "Add to desktop".

This will create a link on the home screen, leading straight to your content. From there you can access your music/movie with the file browser.

kwhopson

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Hey sauce_a_poutine, thanks for the reply, but I just want to toggle my Nearby Devices on and off. When Shared Devices is on, my DLNA-enabled television recognizes media on my Galaxy S3, I don't even need to specify a folder. But I don't want to leave it running all the time. I did try using ES App Manager, which also has an 'Add to desktop' option when I navigate to Nearby Devices, but it didn't add it to my home screen (or any screen) for some reason. I may try the Tasker app if I don't get any answers.

shared_devices.jpg

sauce_a_poutine

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
My better half's Motorola has something called "Smart actions". Don't know if you can install it on a different handset, though. Depending on geolocation, it activates/deactivates things. Perhaps you should search the Playstore for keywords like "Geolocation activated" or something of the same ilk...

The reviews of the Motorola software seem rather harsh to me. It works fine and dandy for her, and she has no issues with it.

kwhopson

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I gave up on Tasker. Was able to create a regular shortcut as an 'Activity' to Settings$NearbySettingsActivity, which gets me pretty close to the toggle.

activity.jpg

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke