software update on rooted s3

longhaireddwb

Jan 7, 2014
Visit site
Hi all. I'm new to the forum. And new to cell phones.
I'm sorry if this question has been asked before but I wasnt seeing the answer I needed so here goes.

Im using a Galaxy s3 phone model number SCH-I535 with Android Version 4.1.2.

A friend told me that I could make my tablet (got a tablet for Christmas) connect to the internet thru my phone without having to pay the extra charges that Verizon wants for a monthly charge if I rooted my phone and DL an app. I did all this and the tablet works on the internet without the Verizon B.S. charges. GREAT! Now to let you know, I have a tablet so the wife can shop on-line from the couch. Not too sure what else it will be used for in the future but as you can see this computer stuff is new to me,

Now this morning I get a notice on my phone of it wanting to update software? It tried and failed.
I dont know if I should undo the root? update software and reroot?
I really dont even know what rooting did but made my tablet run for free. I'm not much good on the computer beside emails and forums. And the cell phone in general is pretty new to me. I'm sorry to say I think I was the last person I know that got a cell phone and now they do so much. I'd even go so far as to tell you that I found something that is really cool on my phone that I like. Google Maps. I bet everyone has known about it for years but its new to me.

So about my question. What is the best thing to do here? I cant even tell you what the update number was that it tried to install. I dont see it anywhere in my phone but I bet its in there somewhere.

Thanks for any advice or help.

Jerry...

Last edited:

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!

What you want to achieve is called Tether. You can install Foxfi and see if that works - it's a Tether App that is reported to work without root access and should allow other devices to tether with the phones data connections. If you are on a shared data plan, or have a data cap, use with caution as you will still consume data as you would with your phone.

If you are on an unlimited data plan then no worries.

longhaireddwb

Jan 7, 2014
Visit site
I am on a shared plan. But I haven't needed to take advantage of this yet but I do have it set up to tether. Works good. Right now I have the tablet hooked into the wireless network in my home. But if some day the wife and I go on a trip or something it will be nice to have the tether option.

Still don't know about this software update my phone wanted to do. It tried but couldn't update the software. Hasn't tried again and hasn't made itself into a brick! I just don't know if this is something I should take advantage of or just leave my phone as it is. Like I said I did the rooting but still don't know what else to do with my phone besides the tethering. I guess that sense I don't do much with it, its not that big a deal. Id love to get rid of most all the apps that came on the phone that keep wanting updated and running in the background but don't know if this is possible. I guess this would be needed to go on another thread.

Thanks for the reply and the welcome to the forum. Hope someone else can give me some thoughts on this software update.
Jerry...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo