Fix for Your Internet Connection is Unstable error message since Android 4.3 OTA upgrade

Edward Haddon

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone if you are now getting "Your Internet Connection is Unstable" error message since you installed the Android 4.3 OTA upgrade on your phone and your wireless connection is just fine and not the cause of the problem, then please be aware a large number of people are getting this same error.
The error is caused because the system cache partition, did not clear properly during the reboot to the new OS version 4.3.
NOTE! please read all the way through and understand before you begin, as you must pick the correct menu choice when you are in the Android System Recovery Menu, as other choices in this menu are such things as, a full factory restore and you do not want to do that by mistake do you!!
The fix is simple but requires that you system wipe cache partition.
to do this you must enter the Android System Recovery Menu and then chose wipe cache partition from that menu.
These are the instructions for how to do this on my Samsung Galaxy 3 and they should be the same for all Android phones running Android 4.2 and 4.3, but you can always google how to boot into the Android System Recovery Menu for your phones make and model, to see if the method is any different.
First power the phone off, remove and re-insert the battery if necessary.
Press and hold the Volume Up key and Home key, and while still holding them, press and hold the Power key.
When the phone vibrates; release only the Power key but still hold the other two keys.
When the Android System Recovery Menu is displayed on your screen, (first a little green Android with his front cover open, then the actual Android System Recovery Menu itself), release the Volume Up and the Home key.
If phone boot splash screen starts to loop instead of showing the Recovery menu, release all of the keys and the phone should still boot to the menu, if not it will just boot up as normal and you can start again.
Navigate with the Volume keys to the "wipe cache partition" option and when highlighted press the Power key to select it.
Wait for the "cache is cleared message" to appear and once that appears you will then find that the "reboot system now" menu item will now be highlighted, now press the Power key to reboot you phone.
Do not worry, you will not change any settings on your phone or lose data if you only chose the "wipe cache partition" as on reboot Android re-writes the cache, but correctly this time and the annoying "Your Internet Connection is Unstable" error message will have gone.
I have put this here, as I have trawled the Internet and read many pages were other people had the problem after the Android 4.3 upgrade, but I could not find the answer anywhere, until I found on the xda-developers forum a contribution my junior member Mintylamb, which highlighted that clearing the system cache was needed to remove the error, thanks to him for his incite.
Hope this helps all of you with this problem regards Ed.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central, and thanks for the post! Wiping the system cache partition can often clear up various glitches and slowdowns, so it's always worth a try; unfortunately, not all devices give you an easy way to do it, nor are there always clear instructions posted by the manufacturer or the wireless provider.

Austin185

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Didn't work for me. Booted into recovery. Wiped cache partition and rebooted. 15 min later I got the unstable message again ):

Posted via Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Apart from suggesting a factory data reset, I don't have much else to offer at this time. Hopefully someone else will have a solution for you!

Austin185

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Yea don't want to factory reset. Oh well I can deal with it and hope for a fix soon. Thanks though

D Rogue

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
I tried the cache wipe a couple of times and it did not work for my Samsung Galaxy Note 2. My Note 2 used to seamlessly stream videos I shot to my Samsung smart TV on my LAN at home, and ever since the upgrade to 4.3 all I get the "Your internet connection is unstable" message. This is driving me crazy. Nothing other than the 4.3 upgrade has changed. What else can I do to resolve this? Please help. TIA, D.

rogers3g

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
I am in Canada on the rogers network, I tried the abover mentioned fix and it did nothing. I get wifi at work without the error message but at home, or elsewhere it appears.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The 4.3 update for various Samsung devices really seems like it was a fiasco, judging by how many issues cropped up after installing it. You could try downgrading back to 4.2.2--I don't have immediate access to a link right now, but you could always do a quick Google search for "Samsung downgrade 4.2.2," specifying your device model in the search.

Mestaflash

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
FIX? WEIRD COINCIDENCE? You decide...

So, I have had zero problems with my wifi and my Galaxy Note 3 (neither has my wife's S3). All of a sudden tonight, BOTH of us could not get a connection on our wifi with our phones...connection unstable problems. It was really bugging me. So, following various forum posts, I cleared cache...did not work. I literally had no internet connection when connected to wifi, couldn't even connect to google. Ok, without boring you, I was really pissed off because it was working last night (less than 24 hours ago), now tonight it was not working...wife's not working either...not a coincidence...not a software update (mine came with 4.3 and hers updated a month ago)...so what was the answer?

I FIXED IT! I remembered that last night I made one seemingly innocent change to my router...i port forwarded my xbox one.

These are the ports I forwarded:

Port 88 (UDP)
Port 3074 (UDP and TCP)
Port 53 (UDP and TCP)
Port 80 (TCP)
Port 500 (UDP)
UDP Port 3544 (UDP)
UDP Port 4500 (UDP)

They were forwarded to my xbox one's static IP. Not being a wifi genius, I have no idea how ports work...i just know if I don't want a restricted NAT they have to be forwarded. So, I logged back into my router, disabled the port forwarding on every one of the ports and literally the same moment my router's setting saved I got an email notification on my phone... SUCCESS, my phone's internet roared to life, no instability, no errors, no problems. I have NO idea why this worked, nor did I take the time to go through each port enabling and disabling them individually to determine which port was the offending party, but it worked.

So, perhaps someone smarter than me can explain this, and perhaps it might help others of you who are experiencing this problem. Check your port forwarding on your router...

J.

Last edited:

ANDREW AGANGA

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone if you are now getting "Your Internet Connection is Unstable" error message since you installed the Android 4.3 OTA upgrade on your phone and your wireless connection is just fine and not the cause of the problem, then please be aware a large number of people are getting this same error.
The error is caused because the system cache partition, did not clear properly during the reboot to the new OS version 4.3.
NOTE! please read all the way through and understand before you begin, as you must pick the correct menu choice when you are in the Android System Recovery Menu, as other choices in this menu are such things as, a full factory restore and you do not want to do that by mistake do you!!
The fix is simple but requires that you system wipe cache partition.
to do this you must enter the Android System Recovery Menu and then chose wipe cache partition from that menu.
These are the instructions for how to do this on my Samsung Galaxy 3 and they should be the same for all Android phones running Android 4.2 and 4.3, but you can always google how to boot into the Android System Recovery Menu for your phones make and model, to see if the method is any different.
First power the phone off, remove and re-insert the battery if necessary.
Press and hold the Volume Up key and Home key, and while still holding them, press and hold the Power key.
When the phone vibrates; release only the Power key but still hold the other two keys.
When the Android System Recovery Menu is displayed on your screen, (first a little green Android with his front cover open, then the actual Android System Recovery Menu itself), release the Volume Up and the Home key.
If phone boot splash screen starts to loop instead of showing the Recovery menu, release all of the keys and the phone should still boot to the menu, if not it will just boot up as normal and you can start again.
Navigate with the Volume keys to the "wipe cache partition" option and when highlighted press the Power key to select it.
Wait for the "cache is cleared message" to appear and once that appears you will then find that the "reboot system now" menu item will now be highlighted, now press the Power key to reboot you phone.
Do not worry, you will not change any settings on your phone or lose data if you only chose the "wipe cache partition" as on reboot Android re-writes the cache, but correctly this time and the annoying "Your Internet Connection is Unstable" error message will have gone.
I have put this here, as I have trawled the Internet and read many pages were other people had the problem after the Android 4.3 upgrade, but I could not find the answer anywhere, until I found on the xda-developers forum a contribution my junior member Mintylamb, which highlighted that clearing the system cache was needed to remove the error, thanks to him for his incite.
Hope this helps all of you with this problem regards Ed.

This is fantastic. Your instruction is very simple to follow and it did it so well for my Samsung Galaxy Note II. Thank you so very much.

mtealo

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for this solution and to Mintylamb as Samsung support had no clue and suggested data reset and would have been a hassel to reinstall all apps and passwords. I hope this will work for my wifes Note 2 as well

alifindlay

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
I have the s4 on 4.2.2 and have been having the same issues! Unfortunately this has not fixed the error! I wrote to Samsung via email and they suggested a factory reset! Done that and it still didn't fix the error! It's driving me wild! Samsung have said they will repair the device but it means sending it off and being phone less for up to 10 days! Can't really believe these problems have been going on since november and now in April and Samsung haven't sorted this out!

P.s This is my 1st post :)