Cannot install apps. Every install crashes phone.

ShrewdSimian

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
This morning I awoke to my S4 locked up and had to do a battery pull because no buttons would work. I didn't install anything new the night before so I don't know what caused it.

After I rebooted it, it started crashing over and over every time it tried to install an app update. I turned off auto-updates to make phone usable. I then noticed that several free and paid apps were missing.

I went to install the missing ones but no matter which I try to install, the phone always crashes to the Verizon logo.

It is running Android 4.3.

What could be causing this?

ShrewdSimian

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
I did this and now I can install apps again. Thanks!

However...after I did this it is now telling me my external SD card is blank or of an unsupported format. I had a lot of documents and photos on that card. How do I repair it so I don't lose all that?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hmm. Try unmounting it (in Settings>Storage), removing the SD card, then inserting it again. If still no luck, then unmount, remove, and then insert the SD card into your computer to make sure the files are still there (the system cache partition wipe should not have deleted anything). Assuming the files are still there, you could consider copying them all to your computer, then reformatting the card, copying the files back on again, and then reinserting the SD into your phone.

Edd B

May 20, 2015
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Try wiping the system cache partition. You won't lose any personal data or settings.

Hate to boot an old thread but thanks a lot.
I had the same problem as OP and as soon as I wiped the cache partition, the missing apps returned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12