Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Galaxy S4 clearing RAM

I have the GS4 android 4.3 and sometimes things lag more often so I hold home and go to the task manager to see that the RAM is almost full. There is the option to clear memory but it sounds risky and I haven't found an answer to my question yet. What exactly happens when I tap clear memory? Will any apps be messed up? I want to know that it's totally find to clear memory before I do it. Thanks!

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    19,893 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default Re: Galaxy S4 clearing RAM

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Kurker View Post
    I have the GS4 android 4.3 and sometimes things lag more often so I hold home and go to the task manager to see that the RAM is almost full. There is the option to clear memory but it sounds risky and I haven't found an answer to my question yet. What exactly happens when I tap clear memory? Will any apps be messed up? I want to know that it's totally find to clear memory before I do it. Thanks!

Android works in the exact opposite manner than Windows. Android likes to have RAM full. It opens apps faster, and thus is less strain on the battery. Clearing the RAM only forces apps to reopen at the slower rate.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I have heard that and it makes sense but my weather widget wasn't showing up until seconds after I went to its screen and I checked RAM and it was higher than usual so I was assuming the RAM is what was causing the lag

Global Posts
    19,893 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

I have heard that and it makes sense but my weather widget wasn't showing up until seconds after I went to its screen and I checked RAM and it was higher than usual so I was assuming the RAM is what was causing the lag

Have you cleared the system cache in recovery? That might help with some of the lag.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

Global Posts
    172 Global Posts

If you clear memory, some apps may be forced closed. Say for example, you ran the browser, visited a website, went to the home screen and left it there. On a regular re-run of the browser, if its still cached, it would open just as you left it and fast, since its still in the ram (just no cpu cycles for it), and reading from ram is pretty fast. If you clear the memory, the browser will open on a clean slate and will have to load from the internal storage (emmc/internal sd/flash), which is slower.

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    Android works in the exact opposite manner than Windows. Android likes to have RAM full. It opens apps faster, and thus is less strain on the battery. Clearing the RAM only forces apps to reopen at the slower rate.
    Not the opposite, just a different way to cache. Windows does not cache apps as aggressively as android does when you close them. However, just like android, windows likes to use RAM to its fullest, usually the entire amount of available ram. It caches a lot of parts of the OS and programs in memory since windows 7. It doesn't show up as used/occupied memory, just cached memory, like android its "re-claimable".

Weather widget got bugged ;D

Does clearing RAM delete photos and stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by Rinkie Van Rooyen View Post
    Does clearing RAM delete photos and stuff?
    No.