Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Paul627g
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Angry 4.3 sucks, want to reset, upgrade to 4.1.2 only on Galaxy S3

Samsung Galaxy S3 on AT&T, got the 4.3 update the other night, didn't think much about it and now wish I hadn't upgraded. I'm wanting to possibly to factory reset then upgrade to 4.1.2, what I had before the 4.3 update. The battery life is the biggest issue, it drains HORRIBLY! I run juice defender and it's not even helping anymore.

My question is, is this even possible to reset and upgrade to 4.1.2 even though the 4.3 is out there? If it is possible, how do I go about it?

Default Re: 4.3 sucks, want to reset, upgrade to 4.1.2 only

Hello,

Unfortunately due to the Knox in Android 4.3 that Samsung added they have made downgrading or rooting very difficult. It can be done, I've seen guides but it is high risk in my opinion.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

Shannon Vary likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: 4.3 sucks, want to reset, upgrade to 4.1.2 only

Even if you do a factory reset? I've seem articles on how to downgrade, but AT&T customers are warned not to due to possible bricking.

I did search some more, some are saying that even after a factory reset the battery life isn't any better. :| So I'm not for sure what to do. My phone came of the charger around 8:30, by 12:45 I was down to 50%. This is complete BS.

Global Posts
    4,269 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (4.3)

Default Re: 4.3 sucks, want to reset, upgrade to 4.1.2 only on Galaxy S3

Always recommend to factory reset after major FW updates on Samsung devices. Yes it socks, but if you haven't done thag you aren't even really at the point where you should be posting for help.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:

Downgrading won't be an option. You get what ATT says you get. Part of why I hate carrier locked down phones. A hard reset should help though.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
    Nexus 5-Black
    Rooted 4.4.2
    TWRP
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by n8ter#AC View Post
    Always recommend to factory reset after major FW updates on Samsung devices. Yes it socks, but if you haven't done thag you aren't even really at the point where you should be posting for help.

Not really wanting to be defensive here, but did your last comment make you feel better? Really? I came here for help, not to be insulted.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by benhmadison View Post
    Downgrading won't be an option. You get what ATT says you get. Part of why I hate carrier locked down phones. A hard reset should help though.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
    If I do a reset, wouldn't that take me back to 4.0 or 4.1?

Global Posts
    4,269 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (4.3)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Kempker View Post
    Not really wanting to be defensive here, but did your last comment make you feel better? Really? I came here for help, not to be insulted.

- - - Updated - - -

If I do a reset, wouldn't that take me back to 4.0 or 4.1?
    It's not an insult. Android devices often do not take updates well and that is why carriers and OEMs always use that as a first line of troubleshooting. They aren't joking. It's true.

I've had every GS device and they all ran like **** after a major update until you reset them.

I reset before and after any major update, and avoid those issues.

And no a factory reset will not roll back your OS version, but it will fix many of your issues so go ahead and do it.

I agree with others, whenever things start to go haywire after a major OS update like excessive battery drain or lag the first thing you should do is a factory reset. I know its painful to do, but sometimes its the cure all.

Another thing to keep in mind which we all space out on, whenever we receive a new update we naturally play with our phones more to see whats new so battery life isn't always a fair reading due to the increased usage in this early stage.

As for the rollback to an earlier version of Android, as I mentioned I know its been done (via rooting methods) or worked on but Samsung really did a number with Knox and locked these things down tight. As mentioned above, a factory reset does not roll back to an earlier version it just wipes the device of all your data/settings/downloaded apps and starts you with a clean slate on your current version of Android.

Basically Sammy is telling us you want to dabble in unlocking, rooting, etc? Buy the developer edition/Google Play edition.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central