1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    548 Global Posts

Default App Permission

While I'm enjoying access to Amazon and Google Play markets directly rather than side loading, I'm getting annoyed with these security settings. Is this an OS thing, or do some OEMs allow for more customization. See attached.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails App Permission-img_1391550515795.jpg  

Default Re: App Permission

You want more control over app permissions?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    548 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SactoKingsFan View Post
    You want more control over app permissions?
    Yes or at least a better explanation why the developer needs my device serial number (as an example).

Posted via Android Central App on BlackBerry Z30

Hi All,

I am a newbie to Android Central - apologies if this is not the right format etc. I am seeking a list of app id's for native Android apps e.g. com.sec.android.app is for the Camera. I currently have a Samsung Tab 2 (4.1.1 version) - if anyone has any links / info. that they can share that would be great. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by pgg101 View Post
    Yes or at least a better explanation why the developer needs my device serial number (as an example).

It's an Android thing. You really have no control over permissions other than choosing not to install the app. A good developer should explain on the Play Store page why they need access to permissions that doesn't seem obvious but many do not.

Serial # and PIN are just examples explaining that permission. It doesn't necessarily mean the app will actually look at those. It might just want to be able to determine the make and model of the device either to alter how the app responds or to feed back the info so that the developer can track what devices are using the app. That would be helpful to the developer in future upgrades in cases like say 85% are using the app on a Nexus 5 and practically no one is using it on a Galaxy Nexus.
    Pat
    Nook Color - CM10.1 ( Jelly Bean 4.2.2) on eMMC
    Google Galaxy Nexus - stock Jelly Bean 4.3
    Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    548 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by patruns View Post

Serial # and PIN are just examples explaining that permission. It doesn't necessarily mean the app will actually look at those. It might just want to be able to determine the make and model of the device either to alter how the app responds or to feed back the info so that the developer can track what devices are using the app. That would be helpful to the developer in future upgrades in cases like say 85% are using the app on a Nexus 5 and practically no one is using it on a Galaxy Nexus.
    In the above example, it was a screenshot of Evernote for BB10 on the left, and Evernote Android on the right. So, with the device ID turned off on the BB10 app permissions, does that mean the developer won't know the kind of device I use (assuming I use the BB10 over the Android version)?

Quote Originally Posted by pgg101 View Post
    In the above example, it was a screenshot of Evernote for BB10 on the left, and Evernote Android on the right. So, with the device ID turned off on the BB10 app permissions, does that mean the developer won't know the kind of device I use (assuming I use the BB10 over the Android version)?

Quite possibly. But it is far less important with BB since there is only one device manufacturer and limited models. Same holds true with an iPhone. With Android, the possible variations are endless. That's probably one reason Google briefly had a developer option in Kat Kat to selectively turn off some app permissions and then quickly took it away. Denying permissions in Android apps can result in a non functioning app or worse, one that locks up the device.
    Pat
    Nook Color - CM10.1 ( Jelly Bean 4.2.2) on eMMC
    Google Galaxy Nexus - stock Jelly Bean 4.3
    Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Thanked by:
    pgg101