Youtube video quality terrible on Sony tablet

b136624

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
I recently received a Sony Xperia 10" tablet for Christmas. The whole reason behind the gift is that the tablet has great specs including a very high res display. So needless to say I've been a bit...annoyed...to find that youtube will only stream HQ instead of HD. Half of the time, it doesn't even look HQ. From my online research, youtube has supposedly rolled out HQ onto all mobile devices. However, my tablet is Wifi only and connected to a fast connection on a 5gHz router. My laptop can stream HD on this connection without issue. So the only thing that can be the issue is the youtube app itself. Is there a way to get HD through the app?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Are YouTube videos that are clearly labeled "HD" in the description still only showing as HQ? As you probably know, not all videos on YouTube are HD.

Also, you've updated to the latest YouTube version, right? Mine is 5.3.32.

b136624

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
The videos aren't marked HD in the title, but I know HD is available as an option for them since I watch them HD on my laptop. I just searched HD videos and ran one with HD in the title. The HQ was now HD and the quality was better, but still not true HD. I'm running the newest version of youtube.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance