1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default ZTE Valet short battery life due to wifi?

We have 2 new Tracfone ZTE Valets. Android 4.1.1 Mine gets 3 days of idle battery life while my wife's gets less than one day.
    Charge both, unplug and leave overnight. Mine has 96% charge in morning, hers 65%.

The battery section shows Phone Idle and Cell Standby using about 33% battery each on hers. On her phone the WIFI is listed as using about 33% as well, while mine is 5-6%.

For some reason "The Weather Channel" on mine is listed as using about 50% battery, but charge lasts days while idle. (I assume the % means it's share of the power being used, not battery capacity)

The Tracfone "My Service" app/widget on hers was stuck 'pending reply' and using relatively large amount of data (17meg) while mine used perhaps a few k data. I assume it was repeatedly calling home. Uninstall/re-install and now it gets answer, uses little data (I include this just for recent related history)

Both phones are set to "Keep wifi on while asleep NEVER". From reading this should increase data usage on cell and perhaps even increase battery drain - but it doesn't drain my phone sitting right next to hers. 3-4 bars on cell service.

I read that "Location Services" could be turning the wifi on trying to determine location. It's true all three of the location options ARE checked, but again they are also checked on mine. GPS is ON on both as well. Bluetooth OFF, screen dim.

I'm assuming something on hers is calling home/keeping wifi active. How can I find out what it might be? Just start uninstalling things one per day?

Default Re: ZTE Valet short battery life due to wifi?

Start by listing what apps she has that you do not.....
    Pat
    Nook Color - CM10.1 ( Jelly Bean 4.2.2) on eMMC
    Google Galaxy Nexus - stock Jelly Bean 4.3
    Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

She has very few, much less than mine. CNN and a local news (WTOV). There are also one or two live wallpapers we installed (dogs & cats licking screen) but none in use. Pretty sure that is it, will check when I get home.

We both have Facebook, Weather Channel, all the google things that come with the gmail account. An app for toggling ringer on/off. Candy Crush, Radar Now.......
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

That's it on the different apps.
    Hers:
    ZTE Valet short battery life due to wifi?-hers.png
    Mine:
    ZTE Valet short battery life due to wifi?-mine.png

Global Posts
    6,746 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

What about daily travel? Is she using the phone at the same location(s) as you? Depending on where she uses the phone it could be using services to search for signal, including data, whereas yours doesn't. At least not as much.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

This is with me at work, no wifi. Her at home with our wifi. I'm sensing a pattern here....

Though the images were in the morning when phones were side by side. (they were taken later but read same)