force move app to SD card

mfaridi

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
I do not have enough space on my phone .some app installed on phone and can not move to SD card . can I move them by force to SD card for make free space

Posted via Android Central App

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
It depends on which phone you have and/or if you're rooted. Android, as an OS, dropped App2SD support since version 4.0 (I think), but manufacturers like Samsung have baked an App2SD equivalent, but even then, it all depends on the app you want to move.

For instance, if you have a Samsung phone with Jelly Bean, you can move apps to the SD card, but not all apps are created equal. Some will let you move a portion of the data, some only extra downloads, some nothing at all (in which case the "Move to SD Card" option is grayed out).

If you have a rooted phone, you can 'trick' the phone into thinking your SD card is a part of the internal memory, thus letting you install whatever you want onto it. However, I do strongly recommend you don't use SD Cards for apps. They're slower than internal memory, not all that reliable, and if unmounted mid-process, can cause more harm than good with leftover files and app crashes.

mfaridi

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
It depends on which phone you have and/or if you're rooted. Android, as an OS, dropped App2SD support since version 4.0 (I think), but manufacturers like Samsung have baked an App2SD equivalent, but even then, it all depends on the app you want to move.

For instance, if you have a Samsung phone with Jelly Bean, you can move apps to the SD card, but not all apps are created equal. Some will let you move a portion of the data, some only extra downloads, some nothing at all (in which case the "Move to SD Card" option is grayed out).

If you have a rooted phone, you can 'trick' the phone into thinking your SD card is a part of the internal memory, thus letting you install whatever you want onto it. However, I do strongly recommend you don't use SD Cards for apps. They're slower than internal memory, not all that reliable, and if unmounted mid-process, can cause more harm than good with leftover files and app crashes.

I use HTC phone and my phone is root , I have to do this because I do not have enough space on my phone , how I can do this , my phone think SD card is part of system and can install app on SD ، I think I must can do this because my phone is root and I can do this

xceeder

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
I use HTC phone and my phone is root , I have to do this because I do not have enough space on my phone , how I can do this , my phone think SD card is part of system and can install app on SD ، I think I must can do this because my phone is root and I can do this

You can use an app called foldermount...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yup, you'd need an app like the one mentioned before or a 'hack'. Being rooted is only half of the process, you need an app or hack to make your phone use the SD Card as if it were part of the internal memory. Once you set that up, the process should be transparent; when you run out of internal memory, the system will use the SD Card instead (or if the app has enough options, you can set the SD Card for installations first).

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Even if you manage to move apps to the SD, you'll still need more than the required space for the app available in your internal storage since it has to be downloaded there first before being able to move it.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

mfaridi

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
Yup, you'd need an app like the one mentioned before or a 'hack'. Being rooted is only half of the process, you need an app or hack to make your phone use the SD Card as if it were part of the internal memory. Once you set that up, the process should be transparent; when you run out of internal memory, the system will use the SD Card instead (or if the app has enough options, you can set the SD Card for installations first).

Can I find this app ?

mfaridi

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
You can use an app called foldermount...

Thanks in which directory in root , I can find data app and mount them in SD card with foldermount ?
Can foldermount mount root or phone memory to SD card ?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Even if you manage to move apps to the SD, you'll still need more than the required space for the app available in your internal storage since it has to be downloaded there first before being able to move it.

But that would be if he could move the app, isn't it? As in going into Settings, Move App to SD... If I understand correctly, the 'hack' allows you to "extend" the memory to trick the phone into thinking it has more on-board memory by means of the SD card, in which case the download would be directly to it. Unless, of course, I understood the function of these hacks wrong (I've not rooted my devices since they're still under warranty hehe)

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
But that would be if he could move the app, isn't it? As in going into Settings, Move App to SD... If I understand correctly, the 'hack' allows you to "extend" the memory to trick the phone into thinking it has more on-board memory by means of the SD card, in which case the download would be directly to it. Unless, of course, I understood the function of these hacks wrong (I've not rooted my devices since they're still under warranty hehe)

Not sure. It was my understanding that some of the exploits allowed you to actually move them onto the SD card, but only on phones with 2.3 or earlier. With 4.0+ you can only move a small amount and even then it's up to the developer to choose whether or not the apps can be moved

Sent via Tapatalk

xceeder

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Thanks in which directory in root , I can find data app and mount them in SD card with foldermount ?
Can foldermount mount root or phone memory to SD card ?

Foldermount mounts the internel storage with the SD card so you've just got one big storage instead of two storages the internel and external..

mfaridi

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
Thanks all guys ,but I think android is open source and I think we can move force app to SD card . I will search .but I think android is like Linux and everything is under control
Thanks
Please give me another advise for solve this problem

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Thanks all guys ,but I think android is open source and I think we can move force app to SD card . I will search .but I think android is like Linux and everything is under control
Thanks
Please give me another advise for solve this problem

Google killed support for SD cards after 4.0
You can force the apps onto the SD card if your OS is older than that but anything newer varies from app to app depending on what the developers chose.

mfaridi

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
Google killed support for SD cards after 4.0
You can force the apps onto the SD card if your OS is older than that but anything newer varies from app to app depending on what the developers chose.

Thanks
I search and I see in some search I can do this with adb and android SDK , can I use this method's for android 4.3 ,?

mfaridi

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Thanks
I search and I see in some search I can do this with adb and android SDK , can I use this method's for android 4.3 ,?

Since you have an OS newer than 4.0 it'll vary from app to app. Even if you can move them though, a very small amount of the app data will be stored on the card. It's really not worth the trouble

mfaridi

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
It doesn't hurt to try :)

Thanks
I try that link and with that guide I free 20% of my internal space and I have more space right now , but some app installed on internal memory and I can not move them to SD card , I will try find another way to move all application to SD card .

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Thanks
I try that link and with that guide I free 20% of my internal space and I have more space right now , but some app installed on internal memory and I can not move them to SD card , I will try find another way to move all application to SD card .

Not all apps can be moved. Google officially killed support after 4.0 so it's now up to app developers whether they want to include that option

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FarajWala800