Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default force move app to SD card

    I do not have enough space on my phone .some app installed on phone and can not move to SD card . can I move them by force to SD card for make free space

    Posted via Android Central App
  2. #2  

    Default Re: force move app to SD card

    It depends on which phone you have and/or if you're rooted. Android, as an OS, dropped App2SD support since version 4.0 (I think), but manufacturers like Samsung have baked an App2SD equivalent, but even then, it all depends on the app you want to move.

    For instance, if you have a Samsung phone with Jelly Bean, you can move apps to the SD card, but not all apps are created equal. Some will let you move a portion of the data, some only extra downloads, some nothing at all (in which case the "Move to SD Card" option is grayed out).

    If you have a rooted phone, you can 'trick' the phone into thinking your SD card is a part of the internal memory, thus letting you install whatever you want onto it. However, I do strongly recommend you don't use SD Cards for apps. They're slower than internal memory, not all that reliable, and if unmounted mid-process, can cause more harm than good with leftover files and app crashes.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: force move app to SD card

    Quote Originally Posted by SpookDroid View Post
    It depends on which phone you have and/or if you're rooted. Android, as an OS, dropped App2SD support since version 4.0 (I think), but manufacturers like Samsung have baked an App2SD equivalent, but even then, it all depends on the app you want to move.

    For instance, if you have a Samsung phone with Jelly Bean, you can move apps to the SD card, but not all apps are created equal. Some will let you move a portion of the data, some only extra downloads, some nothing at all (in which case the "Move to SD Card" option is grayed out).

    If you have a rooted phone, you can 'trick' the phone into thinking your SD card is a part of the internal memory, thus letting you install whatever you want onto it. However, I do strongly recommend you don't use SD Cards for apps. They're slower than internal memory, not all that reliable, and if unmounted mid-process, can cause more harm than good with leftover files and app crashes.
    I use HTC phone and my phone is root , I have to do this because I do not have enough space on my phone , how I can do this , my phone think SD card is part of system and can install app on SD ، I think I must can do this because my phone is root and I can do this

    Posted via Android Central App
  4. #4  

    Default Re: force move app to SD card

    Quote Originally Posted by mfaridi View Post
    I use HTC phone and my phone is root , I have to do this because I do not have enough space on my phone , how I can do this , my phone think SD card is part of system and can install app on SD ، I think I must can do this because my phone is root and I can do this

    Posted via Android Central App
    You can use an app called foldermount...

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
  5. #5  

    Default Re: force move app to SD card

    Yup, you'd need an app like the one mentioned before or a 'hack'. Being rooted is only half of the process, you need an app or hack to make your phone use the SD Card as if it were part of the internal memory. Once you set that up, the process should be transparent; when you run out of internal memory, the system will use the SD Card instead (or if the app has enough options, you can set the SD Card for installations first).
  6. #6  
    UJ95x's Avatar
    Retired Ambassador

    Posts
    10,178 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,443 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock 6.0.1

    Default Re: force move app to SD card

    Even if you manage to move apps to the SD, you'll still need more than the required space for the app available in your internal storage since it has to be downloaded there first before being able to move it.

    Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default Re: force move app to SD card

    Quote Originally Posted by SpookDroid View Post
    Yup, you'd need an app like the one mentioned before or a 'hack'. Being rooted is only half of the process, you need an app or hack to make your phone use the SD Card as if it were part of the internal memory. Once you set that up, the process should be transparent; when you run out of internal memory, the system will use the SD Card instead (or if the app has enough options, you can set the SD Card for installations first).
    Can I find this app ?

    Posted via Android Central App
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

    Default Re: force move app to SD card

    Quote Originally Posted by xceeder View Post
    You can use an app called foldermount...

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Thanks in which directory in root , I can find data app and mount them in SD card with foldermount ?
    Can foldermount mount root or phone memory to SD card ?

    Posted via Android Central App
  9. #9  

    Default Re: force move app to SD card

    Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    Even if you manage to move apps to the SD, you'll still need more than the required space for the app available in your internal storage since it has to be downloaded there first before being able to move it.

    Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    But that would be if he could move the app, isn't it? As in going into Settings, Move App to SD... If I understand correctly, the 'hack' allows you to "extend" the memory to trick the phone into thinking it has more on-board memory by means of the SD card, in which case the download would be directly to it. Unless, of course, I understood the function of these hacks wrong (I've not rooted my devices since they're still under warranty hehe)
  10. #10  
    UJ95x's Avatar
    Retired Ambassador

    Posts
    10,178 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,443 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock 6.0.1

    Default Re: force move app to SD card

    Quote Originally Posted by SpookDroid View Post
    But that would be if he could move the app, isn't it? As in going into Settings, Move App to SD... If I understand correctly, the 'hack' allows you to "extend" the memory to trick the phone into thinking it has more on-board memory by means of the SD card, in which case the download would be directly to it. Unless, of course, I understood the function of these hacks wrong (I've not rooted my devices since they're still under warranty hehe)
    Not sure. It was my understanding that some of the exploits allowed you to actually move them onto the SD card, but only on phones with 2.3 or earlier. With 4.0+ you can only move a small amount and even then it's up to the developer to choose whether or not the apps can be moved


    Sent via Tapatalk
  11. #11  

    Default Re: force move app to SD card

    Quote Originally Posted by mfaridi View Post
    Thanks in which directory in root , I can find data app and mount them in SD card with foldermount ?
    Can foldermount mount root or phone memory to SD card ?

    Posted via Android Central App
    Foldermount mounts the internel storage with the SD card so you've just got one big storage instead of two storages the internel and external..

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

    Default Re: force move app to SD card

    Thanks all guys ,but I think android is open source and I think we can move force app to SD card . I will search .but I think android is like Linux and everything is under control
    Thanks
    Please give me another advise for solve this problem

    Posted via Android Central App
  13. #13  
    UJ95x's Avatar
    Retired Ambassador

    Posts
    10,178 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,443 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock 6.0.1

    Default Re: force move app to SD card

    Quote Originally Posted by mfaridi View Post
    Thanks all guys ,but I think android is open source and I think we can move force app to SD card . I will search .but I think android is like Linux and everything is under control
    Thanks
    Please give me another advise for solve this problem

    Posted via Android Central App
    Google killed support for SD cards after 4.0
    You can force the apps onto the SD card if your OS is older than that but anything newer varies from app to app depending on what the developers chose.

    Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    Google killed support for SD cards after 4.0
    You can force the apps onto the SD card if your OS is older than that but anything newer varies from app to app depending on what the developers chose.

    Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    Thanks
    I search and I see in some search I can do this with adb and android SDK , can I use this method's for android 4.3 ,?

    Posted via Android Central App
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

    Default Re: force move app to SD card

    Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    Google killed support for SD cards after 4.0
    You can force the apps onto the SD card if your OS is older than that but anything newer varies from app to app depending on what the developers chose.

    Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    Can I use this link
    http://techgage.com/article/moving_y...to_an_sd_card/
    In android 4.3 ?

    Posted via Android Central App
  16. #16  
    UJ95x's Avatar
    Retired Ambassador

    Posts
    10,178 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,443 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock 6.0.1

    Default Re: force move app to SD card

    Quote Originally Posted by mfaridi View Post
    Thanks
    I search and I see in some search I can do this with adb and android SDK , can I use this method's for android 4.3 ,?

    Posted via Android Central App
    Since you have an OS newer than 4.0 it'll vary from app to app. Even if you can move them though, a very small amount of the app data will be stored on the card. It's really not worth the trouble

    Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

    Default Re: force move app to SD card

    http://techgage.com/article/moving_y...to_an_sd_card/
    Can I use this link for solve my problem ,?

    Posted via Android Central App
  18. #18  
    UJ95x's Avatar
    Retired Ambassador

    Posts
    10,178 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,443 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock 6.0.1

    Default Re: force move app to SD card

    Quote Originally Posted by mfaridi View Post
    http://techgage.com/article/moving_y...to_an_sd_card/
    Can I use this link for solve my problem ,?

    Posted via Android Central App
    It doesn't hurt to try

    Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

    Default Re: force move app to SD card

    Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    It doesn't hurt to try

    Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    Thanks
    I try that link and with that guide I free 20% of my internal space and I have more space right now , but some app installed on internal memory and I can not move them to SD card , I will try find another way to move all application to SD card .

    Posted via Android Central App
  20. #20  
    UJ95x's Avatar
    Retired Ambassador

    Posts
    10,178 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,443 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock 6.0.1

    Default Re: force move app to SD card

    Quote Originally Posted by mfaridi View Post
    Thanks
    I try that link and with that guide I free 20% of my internal space and I have more space right now , but some app installed on internal memory and I can not move them to SD card , I will try find another way to move all application to SD card .

    Posted via Android Central App
    Not all apps can be moved. Google officially killed support after 4.0 so it's now up to app developers whether they want to include that option

    Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

    Default Re: force move app to SD card

    Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    Not all apps can be moved. Google officially killed support after 4.0 so it's now up to app developers whether they want to include that option

    Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    Thanks
    Can I solve this problem with link2sd and root ?
    In Google play I see this app work in android 2
    Can I use it in android 4.3 ?

    Posted via Android Central App
  22. #22  
    UJ95x's Avatar
    Retired Ambassador

    Posts
    10,178 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,443 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock 6.0.1

    Default Re: force move app to SD card

    Quote Originally Posted by mfaridi View Post
    Thanks
    Can I solve this problem with link2sd and root ?
    In Google play I see this app work in android 2
    Can I use it in android 4.3 ?

    Posted via Android Central App
    My post above is still the answer to this question

    Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

    Default Re: force move app to SD card

    I install link2sd too , this way solve my problem , I can install everything

    Posted via Android Central App
  24. #24  

    Unhappy Re: force move app to SD card

    i want to move the application from system storage to sd card
  25. #25  

    Default Re: force move app to SD card

    Quote Originally Posted by mfaridi View Post
    I do not have enough space on my phone .some app installed on phone and can not move to SD card . can I move them by force to SD card for make free space

    Posted via Android Central App
    titanium backup does it all
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Project Management App
    By Richard Crane in forum Tablet Apps
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-18-2014, 08:04 PM
  2. Unable to update because "encrypted device". It is not.
    By Sika251 in forum Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-23-2014, 01:46 PM
  3. Galaxy to Galaxy Group MMS Not Working?
    By SlickSpur in forum Samsung Galaxy S4
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-19-2014, 09:43 AM
  4. [App][Free] Fast Meteo
    By sylsau in forum Android Apps
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-18-2014, 03:58 AM
  5. Is it possible to delete extra languages
    By dctokyo in forum Android 4.1 / 4.2 / 4.3 Jelly Bean
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-18-2014, 02:19 AM

Posting Permissions