how to hide command bar in 4.3 AND how to add widgets to lock screen?

MEJazz

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I have recently acquired a Dell Venue 8 tablet and updated it to V 4.3 that was available from Dell. This is my first Android device so I am trying to figure things out. Right now these are two of my biggies - the command bar at the bottom seems to take screen real estate where it should be hidden when an app is running. Is there a way to do this? Also I like live widgets but could not figure out how to make them appear on the lock screen. A link to a solution of either of these - or a quick reply - will be appreciated. TIA!

Posted via Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I think whether or not the bar at the bottom disappears while running an app depends on how the app is coded. I don't think there's a way for you to make it go away, at least not without modifying the system (by rooting it, which is the process of gaining superuser status).

Not all widgets are available to be placed on the lockscreen. To find out which widgets you can place, swipe the lockscreen to the right until you see the big [+] sign. Tap that sign, and enter any passcode or pattern, then select the widget you'd like to place on a lockscreen. This is the procedure on the Nexus 7 (running unaltered "vanilla" Android)--I'm not sure if Dell modifies this at all with their version of the user interface.

draconianchaos

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Weren't lockscreen widgets turned off by default in 4.3? {If so go to settings>security>enable widgets} Or am I getting release notes confused with 4.4? 4.4 has immersive mode that hides control temporarily for certain apps displaying certain types of content but you would need to root and rom for this feature...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

MEJazz

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, that at least solved my lock screen gadget issue. Wish Dell has built hardware/dedicated buttons for home/back etc. in the lower border like some cell phones I have seen... For now I have to sacrifice some area of my already lower res screen for this control bar.

Posted via Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21