Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Need help to find out if new phone was altered

It started with powering on one day and a list of command prompts came up. Brand new model N 9810.
    i never saw this before on a droid i have had them for yrs.
    The list of command prompts seemed odd:
    Adb update..
    Debug erroe report...
    cache report...
    Clear partition, wipe cache...
    Factory reset
    sdk...
    All of these items sounded odd to me, so instead of choosing an option bc i wasnt sure what would happen, i pulled the battery.
    I put it back in and the phone came up in command prompt mode again, i was really concerned why this happened. I am not a tech person, so i thought, is my phone hacked?
    I ran root checker, both said no root or SU identified, but it said busybox was installed??
    Please help me get to the bottom of what is going on with my phone.

Global Posts
    8,207 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Quote Originally Posted by istetom View Post
    It started with powering on one day and a list of command prompts came up. Brand new model N 9810.
    i never saw this before on a droid i have had them for yrs.
    The list of command prompts seemed odd:
    Adb update..
    Debug erroe report...
    cache report...
    Clear partition, wipe cache...
    Factory reset
    sdk...
    All of these items sounded odd to me, so instead of choosing an option bc i wasnt sure what would happen, i pulled the battery.
    I put it back in and the phone came up in command prompt mode again, i was really concerned why this happened. I am not a tech person, so i thought, is my phone hacked?
    I ran root checker, both said no root or SU identified, but it said busybox was installed??
    Please help me get to the bottom of what is going on with my phone.
    Welcome to Android Central
    It sounds like your phone was in recovery mode. All phones have one, regardless of whether or not they are rooted.
    So your phone doesn't boot up normally if you just turn it on?

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: Need help to find out if new phone was altered

Now it is booting up normally perhaps I hit the volume key those times it went into recovery by accident.
    Did someone install adb, sdk drivers etc on my phone? Did they try to root it do you think? Or would any new phone have command prompts talking about adb, debug reports, sdk, etc?
    And would my new phone have busybox already installed or did someone do that to?
    I also noyiced under option 'connect to pc' all the options are available now, and i dont think they were before. Also my debug was turned on.
    Thank you for helping me figure this out.

Global Posts
    8,207 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Now it is booting up normally perhaps I hit the volume key those times it went into recovery by accident.
    Did someone install adb, sdk drivers etc on my phone? Did they try to root it do you think? Or would any new phone have command prompts talking about adb, debug reports, sdk, etc?
    And would my new phone have busybox already installed or did someone do that to?
    I also noyiced under option 'connect to pc' all the options are available now, and i dont think they were before. Also my debug was turned on.
    Thank you for helping me figure this out.
    It sounds like they rooted it and installed a custom recovery. BusyBox is a root only app, and I don't think stock recovery has options for SDK.

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Ok, there is only one other person that had access to my new out of the box phone, so this is very disturbing.
    Is there any way for me to know this was the case 100%? Or is there some way to confirm it. I really need to be sure, and it sounds like from what ive researched there isnt a way to really know?

Global Posts
    8,207 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Ok, there is only one other person that had access to my new out of the box phone, so this is very disturbing.
    Is there any way for me to know this was the case 100%? Or is there some way to confirm it. I really need to be sure, and it sounds like from what ive researched there isnt a way to really know?
    Do you have the Super SU app in your app drawer? If you do, then the phone is rooted

7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

I checked for the super u app, i did not see one listed.

Global Posts
    8,207 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

I checked for the super u app, i did not see one listed.
    Does busy box work if you try to use it? It's a root only app, but it can still be downloaded if you're not rooted.

9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

I checked the app drawer, and also under all apps in settings, i couldnt find busybox. Root checker said it was installed though and what version it was. Could it have been installed then hidden somehow? Same question for the super su app?
    i noticed in my app drawer 'service device manager', and touchtest 1.0 with a black icon box.

Global Posts
    8,207 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

I checked the app drawer, and also under all apps in settings, i couldnt find busybox. Root checker said it was installed though and what version it was. Could it have been installed then hidden somehow? Same question for the super su app?
    i noticed in my app drawer 'service device manager', and touchtest 1.0 with a black icon box.
    Go to settings > application manager > all and look for either app there

11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

I still could not find either one there...but so many other apps im not sure what they are...like package installer, wfd sdk, service device manager, etc.