Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By keysgate
  • 1 Post By Ann Sholem
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Galaxy S4 (4.3): All contacts are saved to device. Can I change them to Google instead?

Even under "edit contact", I can't change how each contact is saved. Is there an option to change this? I would like the all to be saved to gmail instead.
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 04-26-2014 at 11:52 AM.

Global Posts
    17,649 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default Re: GS4 (4.3) All contacts are saved to device. Can I change them to google instead?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Quann View Post
    Even under "edit contact", I can't change how each contact is saved. Is there an option to change this? I would like the all to be saved to gmail instead.
    Welcome to the forums.

I think maybe if you went into your Google account by Settings>Accounts tapped on your gmail, that should bring up the list of what can be synced. If you uncheck then recheck the contacts checkbox that should force a sync. If the sync takes a couple minutes, it should be fine.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: GS4 (4.3) All contacts are saved to device. Can I change them to google instead?

This sync option on syncs contacts From Gmail to phone and my Gmail contacts is empty. I want to sync from phone to gmail as well as change the way the contacts are saved in my phone... from device to gmail. Can you help with that?

Global Posts
    17,649 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Quann View Post
    This sync option on syncs contacts From Gmail to phone and my Gmail contacts is empty. I want to sync from phone to gmail as well as change the way the contacts are saved in my phone... from device to gmail. Can you help with that?
    Settings>back up and reset. Is everything checked?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

no one seems to understand what you mean here, but I know exactly what you mean and it is so aggravating. When adding a new contact to the contacts, the default action is to save to device. I also want to change the default action to save to google contacts as the new default but can not find out how to set this. I have been all through the phone and cant figure this one out and its driving me nuts, because if I forget to change each new contact to save to google contacts, it saves the contact to the device and does not show up in contacts because I only want my google contacts to show when I view my contacts, very annoying. help someone
    Thanked by:
    Delirious D likes this.

I have a LG G2 with exactly the problem you describe. Did you ever find a solution?
    Thanked by:
    Delirious D likes this.

Default Re: Galaxy S4 (4.3): All contacts are saved to device. Can I change them to Google instead?

Mine always defaults to google. I could swear I had the choice to make it default. Have you tried resetting you defaults (under main settings/apps/contacts) and then creating a contact using google? Then try to reboot. I only looked this up as someone just asked me how I did it and I can't figure out what I did. I have an S4.

Default Re: Galaxy S4 (4.3): All contacts are saved to device. Can I change them to Google instead?

I understand what you are saying. I had the same problem today. I bought the Galaxy S5 and thought I had all my contacts set to auto sync. So when my contacts on my S4 didn't sync up with my S5 I was a bit confused. I finally saw that they were all set to device. The way I fixed this was:

1- Enter the contacts list
    2-Click menu button
    3-Click on "SIM management"
    4-Click "Copy contacts to SIM"
    5-After all the contacts have been copied then repeat steps 1-3
    6-Once in "SIM management" again click "Copy contacts from SIM"
    7-Click Google account
    8-Once all are copied sign into your gmail on a computer.
    9-Top left says Gmail. This is a drop down menu. Click it and then pick "Contacts"
    10-When this is loaded you should then see all your contacts.

This allowed me to have all my contacts directly update onto my S5. From this point on your contacts will always be on google and ready to sync to any new phone ore google device you get.