Can't move app to SD card or take screen shot: must I root?

joharry

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
I have a Samsung Galaxy Victory 4G LTE and a 16GB SD card. Mr. Hildebrand's excellent editorial makes me think--as my only association with the word "rooting" is "avocado pit"--I am one of those who ought not to try rooting my phone.
However there are two things I want to do. I wonder if anyone can tell me how to do them without rooting.
(1) I want to store one large app--The Simpsons Tapped Out--on my SD card. I tried installing an app I thought would allow me to move the game app--
App 2 SD--but it only produced a list of apps that CAN be moved to my SD card: "TSTO" is on this list. I found in forums instructions purportedly for my phone, telling me I could move an app to the SD card by choosing the "move" button in Applications Manager. I have no such button. (I have Android version 4.1.2)
So: is there any way for me to move an app to my SD card without rooting my phone?
(2) I also read online that I can take a screenshot with my phone by pressing the power button and the down-volume button at the same time. This turns down my volume and then turns off my phone. No screen shot. Is there a way to take a screenshot with this phone without rooting?
I am willing to risk rooting if there is no other way. The game in question is the only one in my phone, the only one I play--and every time a game update comes in, now, I get a message saying the phone hasn't memory enough to load it. This is why I installed the (still blank) SD card.
Thank you for taking the time to read all this. I will be grateful for any advice you can give me.

Saukrateaz

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
The app may not be moveable to SD. Some apps can and some cant.
For the screen shot, its not really a press, more like a brief hold. You must press AND HOLD those buttons for a second or 2 for it to take the screenshot. Timing is kind of importanbt. If you hit 1 slightly before the other it will make that button function.

joharry

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Thanks very much for trying to help me, Saukrateaz. Still no luck with the screenshot. I've tried half a dozen times, being careful to push the buttons simultaneously. Nothing happens for several seconds while I hold both buttons down; then the screen goes black and my phone shuts off.
As for moving this (or any) app: can you tell me how it is done (presuming the app in question is movable)? I've looked at everything I can think of in Settings, and all over Application Manager: I can't see any way to move anything to the SD card. (The one exception is my camera: when I most recently opened the camera function, I found a message asking me if I wanted to switch photo storage to my SD card.) Sorry to trouble. Again, thanks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress