Headphone button has slow response time

Farid Djebara

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
So I've recently transferred from iPhone to the Samsung Galaxy Note 3, and one of the first things that I noticed was the fact that whenever I press the button on my headphones to either change tracks or just pause the song, the time taken for it to do so is at least 5 seconds, once it took 20 seconds just to pause! I've been using spotify to listen to my music by the way.
Please help because this is really annoying me, especially since I live in a cold area and don't like to get my phone out or take my gloves off.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! A bunch of these headphones/earphones with remote controls that are specifically designed for iPhones don't always work well with Android. iPhones use a slightly different headphone jack standard. I see a lot of complaints about various Beats headphones not working well with Android devices. If your headphones were designed for iPhones, then you should look for a new pair that specifically states Android compatibility.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
How does it work on other music apps, especially the Samsung one or Google Play Music? Maybe it's a problem with Spotify.

Posted via Android Central App

Farid Djebara

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
It has the same problem with any app I try, including the main music one.
However it sometimes work normally whilst at other times there's a major delay

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried cleaning the headphone jack? Some debris could potentially be interfering with the contacts. Try rooting around with a damp toothpick, or cleaning the contacts with a cotton swab dipped in rubbing alcohol, or blowing it out with a can of compressed air.

joebloggs2

Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
Hey man,

This is a very common and annoying problem with android, not the phone or headset. It occurs across many models, especially samsung, it seems, and I have this issue occuring on my new s4 mini, but strangely it's also started doing it on my old ace, where it didn't before the arrival of my s4 mini. what verified it was android, for me, was that it also occurs without the headphones, ie it happens when the phone is playing music via a standard 3.5mm jack > powered speakers, and the screen locks. Kaboom. Locked headphone buttons, too. Like you, taking up to 20 secs to respond.

I know of no solution at this time, but I'm pretty confident this isn't a hardware issue.

:)

meandmy10

Aug 7, 2023
Visit site
I know this post is old as heck but I'm going to put my solution here for future searchers.
I was having the same issue on my own phone and disabling google assistant for the headphones fixed the delay issue for me.

Specific steps:
  • Open Google App
  • Click on your avatar (top right)
  • Navigate through settings > Google Assistant > Devices > Wired headphones
  • Toggle "Get help from Google" to off
  • Test your button again to see if it worked
This seems to happen even if you have Google Assistant disabled in general, which is ridiculous but there you go.

Hopefully that helps some folks! I know this was annoying the heck out of me, having to wait not knowing if I had clicked the button properly or clicking it multiple times thinking I didn't press it right the first time just to have it pause, then start playing again is just very frustrating.

Reactions: belodion

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37