Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default galaxy mega typing issue

Please keep your answers fairly simple. I don't know a lot about programming etc.

1. I have a galaxy mega running android 4.2.2. I have had the phone since Oct 2013. I use the stock keyboard because I like that the numbers are on the keyboard and I don't have to switch screens. I have downloaded keyboard apps and didn't like any of them. I use the regular qwerty keyboard but I run my finger on it like swype style. I hate the stock swype keyboard. Anyway, when I try to type certain words, it types words that make no sense or are uncommon. If I type "with" it types "wroth". There is many, many words that do that. "Like" always comes out "love" no matter what."You" is "tou".It's just dumb the words it produces. Then, if you backspace and correct it it includes the wrong letters. For instance if it types wroth and you backspace to the "w" and then type individual letters "i" "t" "h" it will include the "r" as well so you end up with "writh". It does this every time unless you delete the whole word and start over.

So my question is, how do I stop this? Is this user error on my part or a glitch in the phone? My husband just got the same phone a couple days ago but I haven't had a chance to mess with his and see if it does the same thing or not but I will try to.

2. We live on the border of 3g/4g service for US Cellular but we have unlimited high speed internet at home so I have our phones connected to our wifi all the time so we don't burn up our data. If I send an mms I have to shut off wifi for it to send but I can receive just fine with wifi enabled. I use gosms currently but I had the same issue with handcent and the stock app as well. It's a pain to do this constantly. Again, user error or glitch? I haven't tried the hubbys phone yet for this issue either but he had no problems sending mms on his LG F7 with the wifi enabled.

Please help me figure these issues out! Thank you!

Default Re: galaxy mega typing issue

Welcome to Android Central! Although I don't have a Samsung device, I might be able to help with the first question. Go to Settings>Language & input, find the stock keyboard, and tap the settings icon right next to it. Then look for an "Auto-correction" option. For the Google Keyboard on my Nexus 5, I get 4 levels of auto-correction--Very aggressive, Aggressive, Modest, and Off. You could turn yours off, or try Modest. Turning it off would certainly prevent the keyboard from replacing the words you type with the crazy ones it thinks you want to type.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    Welcome to Android Central! Although I don't have a Samsung device, I might be able to help with the first question. Go to Settings>Language & input, find the stock keyboard, and tap the settings icon right next to it. Then look for an "Auto-correction" option. For the Google Keyboard on my Nexus 5, I get 4 levels of auto-correction--Very aggressive, Aggressive, Modest, and Off. You could turn yours off, or try Modest. Turning it off would certainly prevent the keyboard from replacing the words you type with the crazy ones it thinks you want to type.

I appreciate your response unfortunately my phone doesn't have that option. I have stroke recognition and complete recognition. I changed it to complete and still having the same problems. It also has an option for predictive text, I told it to "learn from SMS". It helped a little but, only time will tell!

And there were no Advanced Settings under the keyboard's main settings screen?