Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By B. Diddy
  • 1 Post By ShahBadmash
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Duplicates in App list

Hey all!

I'm on 4.2. My app list (the thing I get when I click the button with 6 dots) has loads of duplicate apps in it. If I try press and hold any of the apps, I get either "Move to Desktop", which I obviously don't want, or "Uninstall", which if I select, uninstalls the whole app (not just that duplicate). There any way to remove the duplicates?

Searching around the web I found that this happens when you move an app from internal storage to the SD card. Two suggestions to fix this were to move the app to internal storage and then move it back to the SD card, or to reboot. I tried both (one after another), but still no luck (in fact, I may have more duplicates now).

Any help would be appreciated!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Duplicates in App list-screenshot_2014-04-26-14-13-18.png  

Default Re: Duplicates in App list

Welcome to Android Central! What kind of device do you have? If you have the ability to wipe the system cache partition, I'd try that.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks for the welcome, B!
    My device is an off-brand phone using the Mediatek Mt6589 chipset. It isn't listed here at android central, but you can see the specs here:
    Qmobile Noir A900 Review | TechJeep
    I have rooted it.

Could you advise on how should do a wipe of the system cache partition? I can find no information for this specific device. I did a storage cache wipe (Settings->Storage->Cached Data), but that didn't do anything (or delete my data, thankfully).
    Online sources say that turning off the phone and then turning it on by pressing the volume up, volume down and power button will bring up the factory menu from which you can do a System Cache Partition wipe. I did this on my phone, and the menu I got had "Auto Test, Manual Test, Item Test, Test Report, Clear eMMC, Version, Reboot". None of these seem relevant? I am assuming clear eMMC would wipe my all my SD card storage, which I definitely don't want. Any ideas?
    Thanks!

You might be able to install a custom recovery on your phone, but I don't have any direct experience with it. You could refer to various guides online, like this one: How To Install A Custom Recovery To An Android Phone / Device
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Oh, I already had CWMR as part of the rooting process.
    I rebooted into recovery mode, did a cache wipe, but that didn't help. I still have all the duplicates (possibly even more now!)

One thing to consider would be to go to Settings/Apps/All, select Launcher (or the equivalent), and Clear Data. You'll have to set up your homescreens again, but this might clear the App Drawer and force it to repopulate again. I've never tried doing this, but it might be worth a shot.

Posted via Android Central App.
    Please excuse any typos or autocorrect derps.
    Thanked by:
    Golfdriver97 likes this.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

That worked! As you said, I'll have to set up my homescreens again, but at least I don't have 5 instances of each app in my list.
    Thanks, I appreciate your help!
    B. Diddy likes this.

Thumbs up Re: Duplicates in App list

Thanks bro. Even I was facing the same problem since months. God bless you.