Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default My Android 4.3 out of a sudden will not charge unless it's turned off!

Hello there,

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 with Android 4.3 installed on it. I bought it only a month ago, so it is brand new. Out of a sudden, today it randomly wouldn't charge when I plugged it in the charger (the one with the adaptor). I tried with other 2 USB cables, with the SSUB cable and with 2 adaptors and it wouldn't work with any of these (all of which work perfectly with my other devices). More specifically, when plugged in either my laptop or my PC, nothing at all will happen (even if it's turned off). So, the only time it works with these cables is when it's connected to my charger adaptors and the device is turned off. As a consequence, I cannot transfer any items to my SD card or charge it while it's on, which is ridiculous. Please help me out, the phone is brand new, rooted and I haven't installed anything "weird" apart from the usual Facebook, YouTube, Skype apps etc. I also tried a factory reset, but nothing changed. Furthermore, I tried it while having removed my SD card (in case there is a virus or something), without any changes again. It should not be a hardware problem in any case as it does charge when it is turned off. Thank you!!

Default Re: My Android 4.3 out of a sudden will not charge unless it's turned off!

Possibly the media scanner process has gone crazy, it can suck up the battery so fast that it can't charge. Normally I have found that its a picture or something like that, which is slightly corrupted and it gets stuck looping on trying to index / scan it. Possibly its a photo from Facebook, or another app like Viber (could even be a thumbnail cache).

Check your battery stats in settings when its unplugged and running on the battery, look for what's using up the battery. If its media, then its probably the media scanner.