Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Samsung Galaxy Express -- Slow Downloads (Among Other Things)

Android Version: 4.1.2

My wife and I were with Verizon Wireless for years, then switched to StraightTalk a year and a half ago to cut some expenses. We had no complaints with StraightTalk, other than wanting to upgrade from 3G to 4G LTE. We considered buying these Samsung Galaxy Express phones and using StraightTalk SIM cards in them, but were told that we may have MMS problems, so we decided to take the GoPhone route instead so that the phones would be on their intended system. We switched over the AT&T yesterday -- and what an utter disappointment!!!

First, we can receive photo messages okay -- but only from certain people. On the failed attempts, we get a warning in the text thread that states that the photo could not be downloaded. But, if we save it to the SD card first, we can see it. AT&T customer service told me that the failed photos are too large, but I never had any problems with our old phones.

The major disappointment is download speeds. I did a speed test this morning at my place of employment, which has the great coverage. I got a whopping download speed of 1.82 Mbps and an upload of 0.87 Mbps!!! The phone indicated 4G service where I was. That's slower than my previous 3G phone. My foreman then checked his Verizon phone and got over 21 Mbps. Customer service says that we have no LTE service here, while obviously Verizon does. The rep had no explanation why I could not even break 2 Mbps on 4G.

Any ideas before I smash these phones with a hammer?

Global Posts
    24 Global Posts

Default Re: Samsung Galaxy Express -- Slow Downloads (Among Other Things)

It's not the phone. I unlocked an ATT i437 and I get 25 to 30 Mbps down and about 20 to 25 up on T-mobile.
    I did not have to change my APNs but did you check yours?
    How big are the photos? About a megabyte is it for most carriers.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: Samsung Galaxy Express -- Slow Downloads (Among Other Things)

Quote Originally Posted by jshadow View Post
    I did not have to change my APNs but did you check yours?