GS3 Possible Virus?

Kyrh

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
Ok. About a month or two ago, my galaxy s3 started getting tgese weird notifications titled something like 'confirm samsung account' and saying something like 'you must confirm your samsung account to ensure it is safe. Enter your password below.' I dont remember exactly what it says even though ive seen it so many times but its something along those lines. I dont remember what I was doing when it first showed up but I remember the message didnt seem too out of place. The notification isnt a pop up, it takes me to a whole different screen. It seemed kind of strange, so I checked for misspellings and there werent any. It seemed official. So I decided id go along with it. I wasnt sure what the password for my samsung account was so I just entered my gmail account password (I dont know why). I hit go on my keyboard and the keyboard dissapeared but the only thing happened on the screen was the password id typed dissapeared from the text field. Nothing else happened. So I backed out and resumed my normal activities. After it kept happening (after the first time I never touched it again I just backed out of it) and happened in the middle of things I happened to be doing just carrying me off to the seperate screen I began to entertain the possibility it might be malware of sorts. But since nothing was happening besides this screen I decided id wait. I dont remember downloading any apps when it started happening. But now recently (the past week) my phone has begun doing strange things. It has been very laggy (especially the keyboard) and freezing (especially on the lock screen and messaging app). It takes repetitive clicking of the download button to download picture messages and half of them have to be resent. Sometimes when I hit download I recieve a multimedia text message from Anonymous that says Hidden sender address. Also sometimes when I hit download on a picture message or my phone automatically starts downloading I get a notification saying Message not download.. and a little bit of text at the bottom of my screen saying Download of No subject from (insert sender here) failed. Also sometimes when my phone lags while surfing the web (I use firefox) it registers a long press when I was actually scrolling. Also, going back to the samsung account message, I was looking through my downloaded apps the other day and saw an app called Samsung account with the samsung emblem. I have also found a way to trigger the message. When I try to access samsung account settings in under accounts in settings it appears everytime and prevents me from accessing them. All the little sync signs under my samsung account in settings have a red exclamation point and say theyre out of sync. I discovered these things a few days ago. I was thinking of doing a factory reset but I have some game apps I dont want to lose my progress on and it seems if anything a little drastic. Is there anythong else I could try? Im not sure I want to download any antivirus apps or scanners from the play store. Also when this is all sorted I plan to change the passwords on all the accounts Ive logged into on my phone. Any advice on what to do or what this actually is is greatly appreciated. Thanks! :)

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forums.
This sounds like Samsung Knox at work. Knox is a security program and is not malware (although some people might argue with me on that point :p ). As for what to do next I am not sure, as I do not have a Samsung device that has Knox on it.

Kyrh

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for responding!
What exactly IS samsung Knox? Is it official from samsung? How did it get on my phone? Should I try to remove it? Also, are all these things part of Knox and connected or are they seperate problems? And sorry for all my stupid sounding questions, im just worried :p

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for responding!
What exactly IS samsung Knox? Is it official from samsung? How did it get on my phone? Should I try to remove it? Also, are all these things part of Knox and connected or are they seperate problems? And sorry for all my stupid sounding questions, im just worried :p

I would look over the article B. Diddy posted. As for how it got there, one of the updates put it there. And as far as I know, it can't be removed by conventional means.

No question is stupid aside from the one not asked.

Signed, XenonRom, Nexus 5 and AC Forums App

Kyrh

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
Thanks! I read through the article so now I know what it is. I tried looking through all my apps but I didnt find one called knox. I found some security related apps like HelpLogin Services and Enterprise VPN Services. Is it normal for Knox not to show up in my apps? Also are there any settings for it I can change to help with all my problems?

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks! I read through the article so now I know what it is. I tried looking through all my apps but I didnt find one called knox. I found some security related apps like HelpLogin Services and Enterprise VPN Services. Is it normal for Knox not to show up in my apps? Also are there any settings for it I can change to help with all my problems?

From what I understand, that is normal. Knox is a somewhat hidden program.

Signed, XenonRom, Nexus 5 and AC Forums App

Kyrh

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
Well thats good. At least its not something else. But now, im not sure what to do about it, or if I should do anything at all. My phone definitely has problems id like to get rid of, but it seens theyre samsung problems.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Kyrh

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
Thanks! Ive always wanted a way to get rid of bloatware.
Here is a list of the applications I disabled:
That mysterious Samsung Account app I apparently downloaded
Flipboard
Discover (I think its a Vodafone app. I have tmobile but my phone is the international version so maybe thats why)
App Select (Also Vodafone I think)
S Suggest
Game Hub
Music Hub

Do think that disabling these particular applications will help?

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks! Ive always wanted a way to get rid of bloatware.
Here is a list of the applications I disabled:
That mysterious Samsung Account app I apparently downloaded
Flipboard
Discover (I think its a Vodafone app. I have tmobile but my phone is the international version so maybe thats why)
App Select (Also Vodafone I think)
S Suggest
Game Hub
Music Hub

Do think that disabling these particular applications will help?

For your primary problem, no. But this should help some of the stuttering you are talking about.

From a Carbon M8 and AC Forums app

Kyrh

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
Ok. Is the Samsung account app thats under my downloaded apps an actual samsung app? It seems weird that its under downloaded. Maybe I should try to uninstall it entirely? Also is there anything at all I can do about my main problems (the freezing lagging, picture message problems)?

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Ok. Is the Samsung account app thats under my downloaded apps an actual samsung app? It seems weird that its under downloaded. Maybe I should try to uninstall it entirely? Also is there anything at all I can do about my main problems (the freezing lagging, picture message problems)?

Its probably under downloaded because its been updated, but it is a Samsung app. Disabling some of that stuff might help with lag.

From a Carbon M8 and AC Forums app

Kyrh

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
I dont mean the keyboard; my keyboard is fine besides the lag but thats a seperate problem. I mean how picture messages that people send me dont load half the time and when they do require continuous pressing.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Kyrh

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
Ok I havent had a chance to clear my cache in recovery yet but I have a very concerning update on my problem. Now a new issue has appeared. I have about 200 smemos that I had luckily exported recently. I just went to go make a new one and all of them except for 10 including the 6 default ones just dissapeared. Im extremely glad I exported them or this wouldve been a terrible loss for me. I just dont know what to do anymore. I dont know if any of these problems are even connected. Im pretty sure someof them are from knox but why would all my smemos dissapear? I also just realized the 10 left were the ten oldest I have which I dont rlly care much at all for. So far I have tried turning of my phone waiting a minute and turning it back on which did nothing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance