Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default update caused loss of contacts

What's up guys. So I have an issue that i hope can resolved. I recently updated my phone to 4.4.2 version and after the update all my contact names were erases but all the numbers stayed saved

So I did the everything re synced, went into my Gmail and it shows the same thing, all numbers but no contact names to go with telephone numbers. I've tried looking into Sim card taking out the battery turning off contact app. I even got in touch with android tech line over phone and they couldn't help. There excuse was that is my account having issues.

But this all magically happened after I did the update. Mind you it was charging I didn't touch or interupt the phone while it was doing its thing
    Please help thanks

Default Re: update caused loss of contacts

Hope this helps... Just restore to a date right before you updated. That should fix the issue.
    https://support.google.com/mail/answer/1069522?hl=en
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Awesome will definitely try. Dumb question but would it be better to do it on the phone or on a desk top?
    Thanks for the help

nice try!
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

So just an update. I tired what the link said to do and nothing showed me the same thing
    Any more ideas?
    is this an android issue or did Google just not recognize my update?

Sorry, I was out in China for a couple of weeks, so didn't see your post before. So, you tried the link and couldn't restore your contacts to an earlier date?

I don't think this is an Android/Google issue per se... It was some sort of weird, right-conditions-bad-luck type of bug (it would be awesome to be able to replicate it, though, so we could send the info to Google and have them fix that). But a strange bug or not, it is still causing trouble TO YOU.

So, I would first try the contact restore on a PC first and have the phone turned off just in case. If the restore is successful, then check your contact list on a PC to see if it's really restored. Then turn the phone back on and let it sync. If you can restore data, then you're good to go. But if it deletes your information again, then you know that something is wrong with the phone, and we can start debugging from there.

Global Posts
    1,816 Global Posts
    ROM
    X-Note7.0.1

If you keep your contacts on the phone or on the SIM card, Google can't help you. That's only for contacts synced to Google. IOW, when you enter a new contact, at the top, wwhere the dropdown is, make it Google contact, not Device or SIM..

Quote Originally Posted by Rukbat View Post
    If you keep your contacts on the phone or on the SIM card, Google can't help you. That's only for contacts synced to Google. IOW, when you enter a new contact, at the top, wwhere the dropdown is, make it Google contact, not Device or SIM..
    Yeah but at the beginning it states that GMail was checked, so the contacts are Google synced.

Sent from my SM-P600 using AC Forums mobile app

Global Posts
    1,816 Global Posts
    ROM
    X-Note7.0.1

Only the Account contacts are synced. SIM and Device contacts don't get synced. Go to Google Contacts and you'll see which of your contacts are getting synced.