Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Automatic app closer

Is there an automatic app closer app that my mum can download as she always forgets to closer her apps & leaves them running in the background causing her battery to drain. Mum use to charge her phone every few days or once a week but now it's everyday.

She has a Vodafone smart 3 on android 4.1.1

Posted via Android Central App
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default Re: Automatic app closer

Please anyone?

Global Posts
    7,164 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

If she's on Jelly Bean this isn't a problem unless one of those apps has a wakelock. Android manages tasks automatically.

Global Posts
    4,230 Global Posts
    ROM
    X-Note7.0.1

There's definitely a problem with your mom's phone. It's definitely not that she forgets to close apps. (Most apps, when they're idling, don't cause the phone to wake up and consume more power.) If the phone is 2 years old or more, it could just be that the battery is at the end of its life. (Batteries are consumables - they have a finite number of charge cycles, even if handled in exactly the right way [which means conditioning before first use, never letting the battery discharge to less than 40%, etc.])

Check the battery graph in Settings, press the graph at the top and you'll see a small list at the bottom. One of the items in the list is Awake. When the phone isn't being used, that line should be blank. If the phone is awake when she's not using it, install Wakelock Detector (free at the Play store) so you can see what's keeping it awake. Awake uses battery. In deep sleep, most phones can go days on a single charge. (They can't do much if they're in deep sleep, but those are the two limits - screen on and doing something and deep sleep. You want the phone to be sleeping when it's not in actual use. If an app is waking it when it shouldn't, or too often, that's the problem, and the fix depends on the app.)
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Thanks for your replies. My mum is on 4.1.1 jellybean as it's a basic smartphone so it won't update any higher. The phone is only a few months old think she got it in January for her birthday. Will have a look at the graph. There's now another problem the phone keeps restarting by itself.