Android emails going missing

Mr_Duck

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
I use a home desktop running Windows Mail, and a generic tablet running Android 4.2.2 using the stock mail app. I have set up both devices to use POP3 to retreive email, with the desktop set to delete emails after downloading, and the tablet set to retrieve emails every 15 minutes but to "never delete".
When I am away from home I turn the desktop off so that I should be able to pick them up on my tablet and then, when I get back home, retrieve them again and save them to my desktop.

This partly works, in that I can retrieve emails on the desktop on my return, but the tablet does not behave properly. When new emails arrive I can view them in the inbox correctly. BUT, when (later) a new email or emails are received on the tablet the previously downloaded ones disappear to who knows where. They are still there on the server as I can later download them from the desktop as though nothing was wrong. What can I do to change this behaviour? I have read other threads which recommend reading each email on the tablet on receipt and then deleting it, on the basis that the Android Recycle Bin acts an archive, but that's a nasty workaround.

Any advice much appreciated. I would prefer to stick with POP3 (I like to keep things simple!).