Jelly Bean Voice Commands

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Thought we could get a list going of commands that work with Google Now. This is what I've found so far:

"What's the weather like tomorrow in Los Angeles" - tells you the forecast for L.A.

"Set alarm" for 7:30am - will set an alarm via stock clock app, or give option of using 3rd party app if installed

"Play (name of song OR name of artist, asking for both doesn't work)" - presents a list of installed music players and plays your song or artist

"Note to self: go shopping tomorrow" - sends an email to yourself with a transcription of your note as well as an audio clip of you saying it

"Do the Dodgers play today?" - says what team they're playing and game time

"Who is the CEO of Google?" - says Larry Page and shows his picture

"How tall is Kobe Bryant?" - tells you his height and shows picture

"Text Bob: hello" - creates a text messages with Bob as the recipient and a message of hello

Here are some that gabbott posted in this thread:

"what is the stock price of ...." and it will speak to to you.

ask it a math problem and it will speak the solution to you. ("what is 5 x 8", "what is the square root of 525"....)

Will speak back conversions... (i.e. "what is 7 inches in centimeteres", "what is 85 degrees Fahrenheit in Celsius", "convert 5 liters to gallons")

"when is sundown/sunrise" will speak back to you the time it will be.

ask it when a holiday is and it will speak back to you when it will be (i.e. "when is Easter")

Found a few more that it will speak back at you...

say "time in location" or "what is the time in location" (City/state/country) and it will tell you the local time there

ask it the date in a country

ask it what language is spoken in a country (i.e "language in France")

ask it what the currency is of a country (will speak it and below the card info will give conversion to US dollar)

ask it what the national anthem is of a country

ask it what the capitol is of a country or state

ask it what is the state bird of a particular state (will say it and provide a picture)

ask it what country a city is in

ask when is daylight savings

ask it when a season starts (e.g. spring, summer, etc...)

ask it what time zone a state or country is in (it will speak back the time zone or zones)

ask it to convert currency "what is 1 US dollar in Canadian" or "5 US dollars in euros" or "convert 5 US dollars to yen"

"what is the boiling point of water?"

ask it when is the superbowl / when is the world series

and this one I thought was really cool, ask it when a movie was released... "when was better off dead released?"

ask it who directed a movie.. "who directed Jaws?"

ask it what movies an actor/actress was in

Things that it won't speak back but will give you info on the screen:

ask it the population of a City or Country (it wont speak back but will show population statistics)

ask it what a country's flag looks like

ask it "when is the next baseball game" or say "baseball schedule" it will bring up a MLB schedule

From Shadowriver:

Do a Barrel Roll!

Last edited:

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
So natural language then?

From what I've seen so far in posts, videos, and screenshots, natural language is definitely the way to go. As with most voice input solutions, it won't be flawless, but for a "first iteration" of sorts the voice commands in 4.1/Google Now seem to be very high on the realism scale, both in terms of input acceptance and response quality.

MRW1215

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
"Play (name of song OR name of artist, asking for both doesn't work)" - presents a list of installed music players and plays your song or artist

Can you tell it to shuffle all your songs (which is how I normally listen to my music)?

I'm also curious about the extent to which the commands go. Can you tell it "Text/ e-mail <contact>, <message>" or "Call <contact>"?

quamdar

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Can you tell it to shuffle all your songs (which is how I normally listen to my music)?

I'm also curious about the extent to which the commands go. Can you tell it "Text/ e-mail <contact>, <message>" or "Call <contact>"?

I know a lot of states are cracking down on using phones to text while driving. Does anyone know if something like Siri or Google Now is considered hands free technology that you'd be allowed to use while driving?

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
So natural language then?

Yup, for example instead of asking for the weather you can ask if you will need an umbrella or long pants on a certain day the of the week and it will tell you if it is going to rain or the temperature, respectively.

I'm also curious about the extent to which the commands go. Can you tell it "Text/ e-mail , " or "Call "?

Asking "play Daft Punk, shuffle songs" only gave me a web search without opening a music player.

Text, email and call commands all work.

I know a lot of states are cracking down on using phones to text while driving. Does anyone know if something like Siri or Google Now is considered hands free technology that you'd be allowed to use while driving?

Maybe if you have a car mount for your device? You can initiate voice commands hands free by saying "Google".

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Reactions: monkeyluis

anon(469638)

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Google needs to urgently add a function for adding events to the calendar by voice.

when asking Google Now to add to the calendar or check my calendar, it brings up web searches.

it does however add the card to the stream for events already in the calendar.

Reactions: freeportglen

Shadowriver

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site

You mean that button thingy? It's car feature over usb, so even if Google won't implement this manufactures most likely do and root community do for sure or else car computer blocks this button signal only to iOS devices by some Apple deal.

Reactions: freeportglen

enik

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Google needs to urgently add a function for adding events to the calendar by voice.

when asking Google Now to add to the calendar or check my calendar, it brings up web searches.

it does however add the card to the stream for events already in the calendar.

That

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

nix80908

May 12, 2012
Visit site

They work flawlessly from what I can tell. :)

bhameyedoc

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
One of my favorite commands I've found so far is saying something like "Remind me to call John tomorrow at 5:00 pm" and it sets an alarm with the note attached.

MRW1215

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Figured I'd ask Google Now some gag questions, expecting not to get any actual answers. I lol'd when I got this:

376373_434357606595068_769912380_n.jpg

Shadowriver

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Emmm i notice people misunderstanding what Google Now is :> it's not voice commend part of search bar, it's just feature showing you right information in right time thats why its called "Now" , it answer you question what to do now. You can see it here:

Google

I notice that lot people call whole search bar a Google Now.... but it isn't, it's only one feature of it and it's not realeted to voice, Google seem to call it Google Search :p don't turn it to another iTouch please

Southrncomfortjm

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
I've been having major issues with the new voice search. It keeps trying to call people when I ask it to do things like play a certain song, etc. I'm not sure my father-in-law would like a phone call from me at 3:00am his time when I'm trying to play a song.

I'm not sure if ICS had this same feature, but Jelly Bean lets you check a box to have voice search learn from how you speak. Just discovered it and turned it on so we'll see how that goes.

MRW1215

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Also, didn't take a screenshot of this one, but another funny occurrence was when I first tried it out. I just wanted to ask something general, to see how it would respond, so I said "Where's the nearest store?", but apparently, it heard "Where's the beer store?", and proceeded to list nearby alcohol shops. That made me lol, too.

hypocaffeinemia#AC

May 21, 2010
Visit site
Working with voice response/fancy card:

"When was <name> born?"
"When did <name> die?"
"What is <object>?"
"Define <word>"
"Browse to <website>"
"Where is the closest <storename>?"