[How To] Remove Predictive Text and Bring Back Punctuation

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
At the Google I/O 2012 conference, one of the touted new features of Android 4.1 Jelly Bean was the enhanced predictive keyboard. After a couple weeks of using 4.1 on my Galaxy Nexus, I've just about had it with the predictive text input. Although some seem to clamor for the feature with third-party keyboards like Swiftkey, I feel much faster at regular touch-typing. One of my biggest reasons for wanting to revert to the old keyboard style was to bring back the row of common punctuations at the top of the keyboard when hitting space after a word. Diving into the settings, I found the remedy.

Simply go into Settings > Language & input > Android keyboard settings > Advanced settings > and uncheck "Next word prediction"

Now, instead of seeing predictive text entries at the top of the keyboard, you'll get simple spelling corrections and then punctuation when hitting the space bar between words. Back to normal!

radgatt

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
At the Google I/O 2012 conference, one of the touted new features of Android 4.1 Jelly Bean was the enhanced predictive keyboard. After a couple weeks of using 4.1 on my Galaxy Nexus, I've just about had it with the predictive text input. Although some seem to clamor for the feature with third-party keyboards like Swiftkey, I feel much faster at regular touch-typing. One of my biggest reasons for wanting to revert to the old keyboard style was to bring back the row of common punctuations at the top of the keyboard when hitting space after a word. Diving into the settings, I found the remedy.

Simply go into Settings > Language & input > Android keyboard settings > Advanced settings > and uncheck "Next word prediction"

Now, instead of seeing predictive text entries at the top of the keyboard, you'll get simple spelling corrections and then punctuation when hitting the space bar between words. Back to normal!

I'm thanking god for your existence right now lol. But seriously, thank you!!!

Nexuslover27

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
Thank you so much! I was going to write to Google complaining about the lack of the option of going back to the old keyboard..I have been saved the embarrassment!

I'm wondering whether I should give the new keyboard some more time though.. it hasn't had enough of a chance to make an impact yet.

xXxMVPete

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Thank you so much!

And slightly related: I've noticed that when typing a text message and if you type something that isn't in the personal dictionary, when you add a word, there's now a popup asking for confirmation to add the word to the dictionary, where as in ICS, the new word would automatically add with no confirmation window so that you could just continue typing. I strongly prefer the ICS method. Is there any way to disable the popup window and just have the new word get automatically added to the personal dictionary?

papoose34328

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Thank you so much!

And slightly related: I've noticed that when typing a text message and if you type something that isn't in the personal dictionary, when you add a word, there's now a popup asking for confirmation to add the word to the dictionary, where as in ICS, the new word would automatically add with no confirmation window so that you could just continue typing. I strongly prefer the ICS method. Is there any way to disable the popup window and just have the new word get automatically added to the personal dictionary?

i am having the same annoying problem as well. if anyone knows a solution to this, please let us know! thanks in advance.

harhis23

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
Helpful tip!

Thanks man, I was just looking for that. Was used to using Bada and I just got my HTC Android a week ago and this text prediction is killing me.

ddunk1946

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
No kidding, thanks! I just got JB this morning, but I already hated the lack of punctuation. Had been through all the settings but didn't think to look there. The ICS method is fine for me, it was the punctuation bar popping up that I missed, 'cause I are a gud spelr! :)
Seriously, thankyew!

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kinmo