Android KitKat? Wish list!

Berry_Pink

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
native app permissions like cynagenmod! :D (i know 4.3 has it but its in beta, i want 4.4 to have it fully working and official, not hidden)
themeable stock ui & status bar icon colours without rooting, changing roms or modding, just change it in the settings - or at least an improvement on the current settings>display>personalise>theme (default, mocha, raspberry, mint)
no scrolling wallpaper option for the stock launcher! i want my entire wallpaper on one screen
multiwindow for google devices (yeah i know its samsungs but i want to steal it lol)

cant think of anything actually useful instead of cosmetic atm lol

davekr

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
1) Improved Bluetooth music playback. 4.3 finally added AVRCP 1.3 but the audio quality over Bluetooth is terrible. I think it has been this way since Google introduced the new Bluetooth stack (I think in 4.2).
2) Add the "Shrink messages to fit the screen" setting from the Gmail app to the native Email app.

Bill Newman1

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
For the love of God:

1. Clear all recent apps/Kill all recent apps
2. Movable search bar, if I can't remove from homescreen
3. Reboot menu for Recovery/Bootloader with "power off" longpress
4. Some sort of Theme/Color changer. The holo blue is getting old.
5. Custom Notification Bar options- No Clock/Center Clock, Battery icons/percentages.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
For the love of God:

5. Custom Notification Bar options- No Clock/Center Clock, Battery icons/percentages.

All that can be achieved now with root and by installing a custom ROM :). Though it would be great to not have to root for these actions.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I am inclined to agree with at least changing the color. And not through an Aroma installer like some ROMs.

outlooker

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
Some improvements in the notifications drawer. I can't think of what to add but something new would be nice. The drawer hasn't got anything new in a long time. Mini widgets for the drawer? I don't know.
And by the way do you think kit kat will be available for the Nexus 4? Or a Nexus 5 exclusive at launch?

soma4society

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Is there a chance that 4.4 could include some of the features that are currently exclusive to the moto x, ie active notifications and/or true voice activation? Or do these require more than just software changes?

Posted via Android Central App

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Some improvements in the notifications drawer. I can't think of what to add but something new would be nice. The drawer hasn't got anything new in a long time. Mini widgets for the drawer? I don't know.
And by the way do you think kit kat will be available for the Nexus 4? Or a Nexus 5 exclusive at launch?

Keep in mind that the notification drawer already offers a lot of functionality through customized notification layouts, action buttons, etc. Many applications simply don't take full advantage of this. It's also important to keep in mind the importance of clearly-defined and non-overlapping UX elements. The notification shade should serve as a notification shade, with persistent notifications fulfilling the requirement of things like music control. When you look at the Play Music 'now playing' notification and the Play Music homescreen widget, you'll notice they're very, very similar. It's a good idea, though ? one that's occurred to me before as well. I wouldn't mind seeing improvements to the stock launcher, perhaps adding some additional control and customizability while keeping things streamlined.

There's little doubt that Kit Kat will be available on all current Nexus devices, as well as the mysterious upcoming Nexus phone. Check out this post by Scott Kenyon for more info: http://forums.androidcentral.com/an...l-my-device-receive-update-android-4-4-a.html

Is there a chance that 4.4 could include some of the features that are currently exclusive to the moto x, ie active notifications and/or true voice activation? Or do these require more than just software changes?

For the most part, those features can work through software alone, but in order for them to work well and not drain your phone's battery, there are hardware dependencies that must be addressed. Without the contextual awareness and natural language processing cores, the Moto X wouldn't be able to do what it does without preventing the device from going into deep sleep. Furthermore, the Active Display functionality is reliant on AMOLED display technology for its ability to power individual pixels separately. Again, you can replicate this feature on devices without AMOLED displays, but you're going to see a drastic hit in battery life.

That's not to say it can't happen; hardware-dependent Android functionality has made its way into AOSP before, one example being NFC. Though it may not be the most widely-used feature, I get a lot of benefit out of it both with my own devices and with friends'. The same could be said for WiFi Direct, which required WiFi Direct-compatible hardware (though that was more of an incremental feature addition than a standalone one).

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site
For the love of God:

I'd like to add:

6. "Do Not Disturb" Feature like in iOS
7. Continue project butter and smooth out more of the system
8. Better optimized to save power
9. AirDrop like functionality from iOS 7.

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
I would like a backup solution baked into the OS. something that backs up all the apps and app data, wallpaper, sounds, etc. and something that doesn't require root. Would be awesome if it could back up to cloud or computer each time I plug it in to charge a la Apple devices. It's really the only thing from the Apple world that I miss.

mattopotamus

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
-ability to delete extra homescreens
-ability to resize icons
-quick reply in any app

The only reason I have a launcher is to shrink the icons and delete extra homepages. Those should be in stock!

jaboop

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
-ability to delete extra homescreens
-ability to resize icons
-quick reply in any app

The only reason I have a launcher is to shrink the icons and delete extra homepages. Those should be in stock!

The ability to resize icons would be very cool! But it would affect the quality... And might be glitchy... But maybe still!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

blazer236ix

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
This is the one thing I like about apple that android doesn't have. I hate having to start games all over because I can't back them up.

Posted From my HTC ONE via Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FarajWala800