Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #26  

Global Posts
    2,204 Global Posts
    ROM
    MoDaCo Switch Beta 8

Default Re: Will my device receive the update to Android 4.4?

Quote Originally Posted by MERCDROID View Post
    We haven't even gotten 4.4 yet, and you're concerned with 4.5? And, even if Motorola is tasked with the next Nexus device, all "current" Nexii will receive the update, before the new Droids or the X.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaboop View Post
    What about the Motorola ultra...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app
    Quote Originally Posted by NothingIsTrue View Post
    Can't say I disagree in any way. I am betting that the Vzw GNex will have a working ROM within 2-3 hours of a code release (either via OTA or a purchase). 4.3 was about 4 hours for me this last time. Either way, it'll be academic. VZW Gnex is becoming an alarm clock/tinkering device tomorrow when the Moto X arrives. I'd be willing to bet my shoes that the Moto X gets it someday, but just like other OEM's, it might not be quick at all. Luckily the Nexus 7 will have it to play with the functionality in the mean time.

It'll probably be fasttracked to the Moto X. Just a guess.

Global Posts
    5,772 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Kenyon View Post
    Be sure to say thanks to the developers or even toss them some cash via paypal. They do a great job.
    ^^ Yes Sir! Devs need love too.

​Obvious statement: Why, I am an assassin 'droid, Master.
    May the Force Be With You

Community Rules & Guidelines​
    (Formerly "NothingIsTrue")

I would be surprised if the S3 doesn't get it. The S2 got JB. I just imagine it will roll into it about the time that no one really cares anymore. I'm sure it's years away, but I imagine it would eventually show.
    Targon likes this.

Keep in mind Verizon's track record with getting phones updated is the worst among the US big four.
    I'd say that AT&T is much worse than Verizon, when it comes to updating phones. AT&T's SGS3 didn't receive 4.1.2 until July 31, which is about 2.5 months after Verizon.

In the interest of full disclosure, I'm an AT&T customer.
    Phone:
    Nexus 5
    Samsung Galaxy S4 Google Edition

Tablet:
    Nexus 10
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #30  

Global Posts
    2,204 Global Posts
    ROM
    MoDaCo Switch Beta 8

Quote Originally Posted by kgbkny View Post
    I'd say that AT&T is much worse than Verizon, when it comes to updating phones. AT&T's SGS3 didn't receive 4.1.2 until July 31, which is about 2.5 months after Verizon.

In the interest of full disclosure, I'm an AT&T customer.
    I've already gotten a few OTAs for my HTC One. I've been impressed with AT&T.

Any phone with NFC should be able to get KitKat...

1. Install/Update Google Wallet to latest version
    2. Input Card Information as payment option in Google Wallet
    3. Stroll down to the nearest Qwicki-Mart
    4. Use Google Wallet to purchase a KitKat
    5. "Thank You, Come Again!"

I fail to see where the anxiety comes in....

Signed,
    Complacent N4 Owner
    Nokia Lumia 925: T-Mo Branded Windows Phone 8 Amber
    LG Nexus 4: Ubuntu Touch Pre-release Ubuntu-System Beta
    Asus Nexus 7: Pure Google Jelly Bean 4.3
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus: Open webOS Alpha 2
    hawkman71 likes this.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #32  

Global Posts
    2,204 Global Posts
    ROM
    MoDaCo Switch Beta 8

Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    Any phone with NFC should be able to get KitKat...

1. Install/Update Google Wallet to latest version
    2. Input Card Information as payment option in Google Wallet
    3. Stroll down to the nearest Qwicki-Mart
    4. Use Google Wallet to purchase a KitKat
    5. "Thank You, Come Again!"

I fail to see where the anxiety comes in....

Signed,
    Complacent N4 Owner
    Except, you know, every variant of the HTC One but Sprint.
    Darth Spock likes this.

Global Posts
    5,772 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Google wallet works on hardly any devices. Just nexus from what I can tell.

XT1060. Through spacetime.

​Obvious statement: Why, I am an assassin 'droid, Master.
    May the Force Be With You

Community Rules & Guidelines​
    (Formerly "NothingIsTrue")

my be you can see at phone update at menu/setting/device update
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #35  

Global Posts
    2,204 Global Posts
    ROM
    MoDaCo Switch Beta 8

Google wallet works on hardly any devices. Just nexus from what I can tell.

XT1060. Through spacetime.
    You can hack it into most others. HTC One models, aside from Sprint, don't contain a hardware secure element. They won't ever ever ever EVER work with it.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #36  

Global Posts
    2,204 Global Posts
    ROM
    MoDaCo Switch Beta 8

Can't say I disagree in any way. I am betting that the Vzw GNex will have a working ROM within 2-3 hours of a code release (either via OTA or a purchase). 4.3 was about 4 hours for me this last time. Either way, it'll be academic. VZW Gnex is becoming an alarm clock/tinkering device tomorrow when the Moto X arrives. I'd be willing to bet my shoes that the Moto X gets it someday, but just like other OEM's, it might not be quick at all. Luckily the Nexus 7 will have it to play with the functionality in the mean time.

I'll bet the X gets it before other OEMs. Not because of favoritism, rather due to how close to vanilla it is and how easy it'll be for the coders to port. How much customization and extra features go is amazing. You might like all the Galaxy features, or like me, the HTC One features in Sense. They're great, no joke. But all of that extra stuff means slower updates, as the coders have to make sure all of those features work with the latest release and framework. The stuff the X has should be really easy to convert.

Doss that mean my GSIII is Also likely to receive Android 4.4 later?
    I know 4.3 will hit us in the October but 4.4 is also important.

Sent from my GSIII
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #38  

Global Posts
    2,204 Global Posts
    ROM
    MoDaCo Switch Beta 8

Quote Originally Posted by chirag05 View Post
    Doss that mean my GSIII is Also likely to receive Android 4.4 later?
    I know 4.3 will hit us in the October but 4.4 is also important.

Sent from my GSIII
    I'm going to say it's unlikely, however there is hope. That hope may manifest itself in rom developers, but hope nonetheless.

I'm going to say it's unlikely, however there is hope. That hope may manifest itself in rom developers, but hope nonetheless.
    But why can't S3 get 4.4? Is it because we have slower really processor or 1GB Ram (International version)? Or only Snapdragon processors will see the update?
    I thought if S2 could receive the Jelly Bean update after a while prolonged wait then why can't S3 users see 4.4....

Sent from my GSIII

But why can't S3 get 4.4? Is it because we have slower really processor or 1GB Ram (International version)? Or only Snapdragon processors will see the update?
    I thought if S2 could receive the Jelly Bean update after a while prolonged wait then why can't S3 users see 4.4....
    If the Galaxy S3 doesn't receive an official update to 4.4 from Samsung (and therefore your only option would be through the custom ROM development community), it's more than likely because Samsung is choosing to end upgrade support for the device at 4.3. It wouldn't surprise me, given the Galaxy S4 and recently-announced Note and Gear products coming out. They'll likely still push out any relevant security fixes (for example, like this) and such. Even flagship devices inevitably get put on the backburner, so to speak.
    Golfdriver97 likes this.

Global Posts
    13,957 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Schroedl View Post
    If the Galaxy S3 doesn't receive an official update to 4.4 from Samsung (and therefore your only option would be through the custom ROM development community), it's more than likely because Samsung is choosing to end upgrade support for the device at 4.3. It wouldn't surprise me, given the Galaxy S4 and recently-announced Note and Gear products coming out. They'll likely still push out any relevant security fixes (for example, like this) and such. Even flagship devices inevitably get put on the backburner, so to speak.
    Patrick, I also question if a stock S3 will get 4.4.

Sent from a SlimROM S3.

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu 'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

Global Posts
    13,957 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Sent from my GSIII
    I am more inclined to believe that it has to do with having people upgrade devices. If every Android device could run up to KitKat, would people want to upgrade? A fair amount wouldn't. Devices are planned to be obsolete.
    This is where rooting and flashing ROMs comes into play.

Sent from a SlimROM S3.

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu 'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

Global Posts
    716 Global Posts

Way way way back, six to eight months ago, the word was that the S3 would be getting Key Lime Pie. Now, that was before 4.3 showed up. It should be noted(no pun intended with the Note series being available) that Jelly Bean was a huge deal because of Google Now. The S3 and Note 2, plus S4 will see 4.3 because it is needed for compatibility with the Galaxy Gear. Even AT&T and Verizon may push out updates sooner if it means the Gear sells well.

So, what will KitKat really bring to the table? We don't know, but a big issue with these new versions is device drivers. If KitKat comes out of the gate with good driver support, or if drivers are easily implemented, then we MAY see updates. Just think, if a new Android version for old devices helps with sales of accessories, it MAY be pushed out. Will Samsung offer something that REQUIRES KitKat? That is the thing that will drive Samsung to release the new update.

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    I am more inclined to believe that it has to do with having people upgrade devices. If every Android device could run up to KitKat, would people want to upgrade? A fair amount wouldn't. Devices are planned to be obsolete.
    This is where rooting and flashing ROMs comes into play.

Sent from a SlimROM S3.
    Has Samsung officially announced that it would end up S3 update with Android 4.3???
    Oh man.... I have zero idea about Rooting and Flashing. When I read these two words on the forum I generally avoid it. All I know is it overclocks the same processor and makes it able to do some things which it wasn't capable before. Am I right? Or any suitable link provided Wil be appreciable.

Sent from my GSIII
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #45  

Global Posts
    2,204 Global Posts
    ROM
    MoDaCo Switch Beta 8

Has Samsung officially announced that it would end up S3 update with Android 4.3???
    Oh man.... I have zero idea about Rooting and Flashing. When I read these two words on the forum I generally avoid it. All I know is it overclocks the same processor and makes it able to do some things which it wasn't capable before. Am I right? Or any suitable link provided Wil be appreciable.

Sent from my GSIII
    I believe so, but don't have a source. Just recall reading it somewhere.

Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Android 4.4.2

Samsung said the S3 would get Key Lime Pie/Android 5.0 (now "Kit Kat" v4.4) -- now, that was before the surprise Android 4.3 release -- but I would hope Samsung is savvy enough to know that a good subset of its users will remember that promise.

Sent from my GSIII
    Flashing custom ROMs can let you do all sorts of crazy stuff, however, if you're in similar shoes to my own, you want a ROM that works close to the level of the OEM stuff (I rely on my phone for business -- I can't have it not receive calls or fail to connect to Data or whatnot). For that, probably one of the absolute best ROMs you can get are CyanogenMod (I'd be on it now, but I have a Nexus 4 and I want the latest OS as soon as it comes out) stable ROMs. It's basically plain Android with a number of excellent added features but no bloatware. I didn't install a custom kernel that lets you overclock or anything -- I wanted a stable JB experience, and I got it.

Do a little research on the following sites:

For my requirements, I only needed to go to the above two (followed up by for more in-depth stuff). Basically, I followed the instructions to get the custom recovery installed (from galaxys3root.com), copied the latest stable Cyanogen ROM as well as Gapps to a spare SD card I had, booted into recovery, wiped cache, flashed ROM, flashed Gapps (all in all it takes maybe 10 minutes) and I was done -- suddenly my S2 ran JB4.2.2 better than the S3 runs 4.1x with carrier bloat -- and the cool thing is you can do OTA updates through Cyanogen... figure, given their schedules, you shouldn't be more than maybe 3 or 4 months behind the latest Android version.
    Nexus4 - Stock 4.4.2
    Nexus7 - Stock 4.4.2
    SGH-T989 - CM10.2

Quote Originally Posted by Sicily1918 View Post
    Do a little research on the following sites:

For my requirements, I only needed to go to the above two (followed up by for more in-depth stuff). Basically, I followed the instructions to get the custom recovery installed (from galaxys3root.com), copied the latest stable Cyanogen ROM as well as Gapps to a spare SD card I had, booted into recovery, wiped cache, flashed ROM, flashed Gapps (all in all it takes maybe 10 minutes) and I was done -- suddenly my S2 ran JB4.2.2 better than the S3 runs 4.1x with carrier bloat -- and the cool thing is you can do OTA updates through Cyanogen... figure, given their schedules, you shouldn't be more than maybe 3 or 4 months behind the latest Android version.
    All thia stuff went over my head. ROM, BLOATWARE, CUSTOM ROM etc. I will check out the above links if they can help. So, it is still unclear whether or not Samsung S3 will receive Kit Kat .

Sent from my GSIII
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #48  

Global Posts
    2,204 Global Posts
    ROM
    MoDaCo Switch Beta 8

All thia stuff went over my head. ROM, BLOATWARE, CUSTOM ROM etc. I will check out the above links if they can help. So, it is still unclear whether or not Samsung S3 will receive Kit Kat .

Sent from my GSIII
    A ROM is custom firmware. It's akin to installing a different version of Windows on your PC. These ROMs are user made Android-based operating systems that have added or removed features, or a higher version of Android than the device is supported for.
    Bloatware is all that carrier junk that nobody ever uses. Verizon/Att Navigator for example. We all use Google Maps because it's better, but sure enough the carrier saddles us with the junk app we cannot remove. That is called bloatware.
    Hopefully you have a better understanding of the terms. There's a lot to learn about Android, feel free to ask any questions you need answered.
    Thanked by:

A ROM is custom firmware. It's akin to installing a different version of Windows on your PC. These ROMs are user made Android-based operating systems that have added or removed features, or a higher version of Android than the device is supported for.
    Bloatware is all that carrier junk that nobody ever uses. Verizon/Att Navigator for example. We all use Google Maps because it's better, but sure enough the carrier saddles us with the junk app we cannot remove. That is called bloatware.
    Hopefully you have a better understanding of the terms. There's a lot to learn about Android, feel free to ask any questions you need answered.
    Thanks Scott for the detailed understanding of terms. So does using custom firmware void the phones warranty?
    Is thr phone more prone to viruses and unsafe after installing custom ROM?
    Where I can learn all this stuff about? Some video may be if you know on YouTube. I would appreciate that.

Sent from my GSIII

Of course all Nexii should be getting back to the Gnex. I would be shocked if the Gnex didn't get an OFFICIAL 4.4 update. When there was speculation of the 5.0 (then KLP) it was rumored that it would be compatible on Older phones. (IE Nexus S). Now if google can seriously pull that off even with older non nexus devices the that would be awesome for a lot of the mainstream public that have older devices. Especially if Google is able to introduce TRIM. I 'm sure it's a huge longshot and most of the Mass population wouldn't care but it would still be awesome.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast